Quantcast

Abandon the 8" travel bike for a shoter travel mini DH?

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
So, I'm considering switching from a full blown DH bike to something with a little less travel. Strictly for park riding, no racing involved.

I'd like to hear from those who have done the switch, to what bike, and if they are happy with the decision.

Go.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Aren't mini DH bikes called ENDUROs these days? You really tried to avoid the E word, didn't you? :dance:

swkshepherd

Chimp
Nov 19, 2016
I'm doing the exact same thing this off-season. Moving from an Aurum to a Rune V2. So yea, I'm basically going "endurbro" too, I guess.

We should start a support group or something.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The Evil Wreckoning I had was very capable. I didn't ride it down in Santa Barbara so not sure how smooth it would feel over 4 miles of rocks. But it was very capable. The Megatrail was pretty capable as well. If you really want something aggressive I would look at the 160mm Geometron in the 29" variety. I am not sure how much extra it is but the standard 650B one is a pretty decent price with fork and shock....

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I went from a 41lbs DH bike to a surprisingly capable 28lbs AM bike (145mm travel). I spent 1 year riding both bikes, but I was feeling more limited with the DH bike, so I sold it. Everytime I was at the bike park with the big bike, I was kind of regretting not having the little bike to do the longer loops, which involves some climbing.

Of course, the little bike is not well suited for the real gnarly, fast and rough DH trails, so if that's what you're after, you should keep your DH bike. Also, if your bike park doesn't have "longer" trails that would be better with a more pedal-friendly bike, then you may not want to get rid of the big bike.

Basically: What @Kevin said...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Why do you want something with less travel?

I replaced my DH bike with a shorter travel FR bike two seasons ago. First with a Spesh Enduro EVO and this year with a Knolly Delirium. I went this route because since we had our second kid I've only been able to average 1-2 days a year of lift served riding (closest mountain is 3 hours away). These bikes replaced both my DH bike and my ~160mm bike, so my current quiver is the FR bike and a trail bike.

If you're riding resorts regularly I'd stick with a DH bike.

The shorter travel bikes tend to:

- Have shorter chain stays that aren't as stable at mach stupid - more fun in berms though
- Beat you up more in the rough
- Don't give you the same margin of error
- Don't give you the same FEEL of margin of error - i.e. you may back off a bit in some sections as you're not quite as confident in the bike

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Why do you want something with less travel?

I replaced my DH bike with a shorter travel FR bike two seasons ago. First with a Spesh Enduro EVO and this year with a Knolly Delirium. I went this route because since we had our second kid I've only been able to average 1-2 days a year of lift served riding (closest mountain is 3 hours away). These bikes replaced both my DH bike and my ~160mm bike, so my current quiver is the FR bike and a trail bike.

If you're riding resorts regularly I'd stick with a DH bike.

The shorter travel bikes tend to:

- Have shorter chain stays that aren't as stable at mach stupid - more fun in berms though
- Beat you up more in the rough
- Don't give you the same margin of error
- Don't give you the same FEEL of margin of error - i.e. you may back off a bit in some sections as you're not quite as confident in the bike
I just find myself on the more flowy, jump trails rather than the chunk. (I'm getting old)
My park days consist of 80% flow and jump trails, 20% rough and tumble trails. (Northeast parks) My racing days are over.
I really like my bike, I just find that its a lot of work on the smoother, jump trails.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
How about getting an air shock and a single crown. The drop in weight to a single crown makes a bike much easier to flick around, and you can setup the air shock for jump trails. You can always swap back to a coil/dual crown when you want them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you really ride DH, parks and stuff that you'd never consider climbing, there's no replacement for a DH bike IMO. If you are riding flatter less aggressive stuff, only DH rarely (and have good skills) then sure, go with less.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Only to people who don't ride dh.
You didn't get the 'mini' part, or? Weren't always those 6" travel slack bikes called mini DH bikes and everybody on here and their dog wanted the Sam Hill SixPoint proto. Now these bikes exist and are called enduros and everybody makes fun of them. Classic RM.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
One of the good things about riding a DH bike on DH tracks is that I don't have to fix isht every week like when I was riding enderpo rig on DH tracks.

However, I am just a talentless hack slow as fvck.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Transition TR500 or something similar that switches between full DH travel and 7" mode might be worth a look at? If they're anything like my old TR450, it should be nice and easy to jump as well. I'm sure other manufacturers do similar bikes, maybe the Scott Voltage?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You didn't get the 'mini' part, or? Weren't always those 6" travel slack bikes called mini DH bikes and everybody on here and their dog wanted the Sam Hill SixPoint proto. Now these bikes exist and are called enduros and everybody makes fun of them. Classic RM.
You didn't get the 'dh' part?

No, those bikes largely don't exist any more.

Because a 160mm travel plastic, 29lb crackomatic ain't it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Capra AL, Mega, Radon Swoop 170, Intense Uzzi, Rune were just a few that came to my mind in a second. You need to not look with dentist eyes. ;)

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Now I'm confused.

Are there parks that require pedalling?
I own two bikes. a xc/trail and a dh.

By trail bike I mean a 120mm front, 110mm rear xc/trail bike that I use for long in the saddle days.

I'm just considering something with a little less travel that is more jump, flow friendly that can still get
down the occasional rough trails.
Something with 160-170mm rear, 170-180front.

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I hate to admit it, especially here, but i just sold my tr500 and I've been riding dh exclusively on my Nomad. Is it rougher on gnarly trails? Sure, but it fits me better so it overall feels better. (xl Nomad vs L tr500). If the tr500 was big enough to feel like my xl trail bikes i wouldn't have sold it, but at the same time the Nomad isn't holding me back.
There is definitely less margin for error when riding on the edge, but overall I think im just as fast on it and will hit the same big jumps as i would on a proper dh bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Capra AL, Mega, Radon Swoop 170, Intense Uzzi, Rune were just a few that came to my mind in a second. You need to not look with dentist eyes. ;)
Maybe the rune, uzzi and swoop.........

You don't seem to understand what dentist eyes are. That's the crowd you're siding with who rode burly 170-180 mm travel bikes like pussies and hence don't notice the difference with something 10lbs lighter because they never pushed the limits of the burlier models before that.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Maybe the rune, uzzi and swoop.........
I'm hungover to fuck so I'm going to have to ask. Why those 3 and not the other 2?

Seriously... That Capra I got has DH geometry and sizing (it's just as long, slack (63deg) and nearly as low* as my Sunday) and that's exactly why I bought it. If it breaks it breaks... it's not as if the old overbuilt DH bikes we rode when we were all younger (and possibly faster) didn't regularly break. I'm not suddenly going to start mincing down trails or riding round stuff just because I now own a #FashionChariot.

:hmm:

* actually it's lower but you know what I mean

Last edited:

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Capra is a fun and capable bike. I really enjoyed mine on aline, dirt merchant and trails of that sort. It was definitely more of a handful in the deep chunk than a dh bike.
Plus on sale right now..

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm hungover to fuck so I'm going to have to ask. Why those 3 and not the other 2?

Seriously... That Capra I got has DH geometry and sizing (it's just as long, slack (63deg) and nearly as low* as my Sunday) and that's exactly why I bought it. If it breaks it breaks... it's not as if the old overbuilt DH bikes we rode when we were all younger (and possibly faster) didn't regularly break. I'm not suddenly going to start mincing down trails or riding round stuff just because I now own a #FashionChariot.

:hmm:

* actually it's lower but you know what I mean
How'd you get yours to 63? Is there a specific headset you can point me to?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@4130biker running a smaller rear tyre (old Skool 2.35 Maxxis Bling bling and a Nu Skool 2.4 DHR2 up front
it's the 170mm lyrik and 165mm (rather than 170) rear too
I can't stand big rear tyres even for pure DH

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I've had better luck turning down my DH bike on easier trails than when overcooking the trail bike on DH runs.
I feel this is generally true as well...That said my nomad is my 'DH' bike at this point, it get what I need done, and I can pedal it.