Quantcast

Abandoned cars

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm buying a piece of property that has 2 cars on the property... one is a true junker, but the other (a decent Nissan) may be worth a few grand. If these cars have been abandoned on the property, do I have legal ownership of the cars?

I was thinking I could get some sort of title on them, and donate them to charity or something...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Crashby said:
I'm buying a piece of property that has 2 cars on the property... one is a true junker, but the other (a decent Nissan) may be worth a few grand. If these cars have been abandoned on the property, do I have legal ownership of the cars?

I was thinking I could get some sort of title on them, and donate them to charity or something...

Get the VIN#'s and run a title search. Worst case scenario you would have to notify the owner to come get the property, then start charging them storage fees, then apply for a mechanic/storage title.

Quite possibly the owner of the cars and property are 1 in the same? Contact your local DMV and get the proper paper work for the owner to sign at closing.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Get the VIN#'s and run a title search. Worst case scenario you would have to notify the owner to come get the property, then start charging them storage fees, then apply for a mechanic/storage title.

Quite possibly the owner of the cars and property are 1 in the same? Contact your local DMV and get the proper paper work for the owner to sign at closing.
dude that's the ticket!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is how it worked when I was working as a tow truck driver:

1. You call up an auto lien company and pay a small fee ($50 or less I think)
2. They research the vin and send a letter to the last known address of the owner
3. After 30 days, if they haven't gotten it off your property, it's yours.

If the owners aren't found, it's still yours after 30 days. You file a form with the DMV with the information the lien company supplyed you with and pay for a new title and registration. You just have to show there was contact made and 30 days has passed (at least in Oregon, moght be different elsewhere).

I bought my 325i BMW off my boss for $200 and a new title and registration was $90.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Echo said:
The bank can't tell you if you will own the cars?
Thats the funny thing about these foreclosures... I didnt even know who "the bank" was on the last house until I was at the closing table... suppose I could poke around a bit. (actually, a car is in the rough shape of a table top :)

jimmydean said:
This is how it worked when I was working as a tow truck driver:

1. You call up an auto lien company and pay a small fee ($50 or less I think)
2. They research the vin and send a letter to the last known address of the owner
3. After 30 days, if they haven't gotten it off your property, it's yours.
I plan on having the house on the market w/in 30-40 days of original posession, so Im looking for the fastest way to get 5,000 pounds of iron off the property...

Great advice though... thanks!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Crashby said:
I plan on having the house on the market w/in 30-40 days of original posession, so Im looking for the fastest way to get 5,000 pounds of iron off the property...
Rent a backhoe
Dig a big hole
Roll 'em in
Replace dirt

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Crashby said:
Thats the funny thing about these foreclosures... I didnt even know who "the bank" was on the last house until I was at the closing table... suppose I could poke around a bit. (actually, a car is in the rough shape of a table top :)

Great advice though... thanks!
I know around here there are guys who will tow it off your property and give you $100 to $500 for the scrap metal. I've gone that route a few times as well.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
jimmydean said:
I know around here there are guys who will tow it off your property and give you $100 to $500 for the scrap metal. I've gone that route a few times as well.
My first house had a couple engine blocks / parts all around the property with a bunch of other scrap metal... this nice old junk man came and helped us put everything in his truck... said it was about 2600 pounds... this area bears $80/ton for scrap...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Crashby said:

you can donate them with out a title.. and get a tax break.. if they are newer than '95 you may get some money

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Dont call the DMV. You have to go down there and wave a semi automaitc rifle arround to get some damn service.