Quantcast

about:blank.... ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
So my laptop gets infected with this insidious little piece of crap. Basically it resets your home page to about:blank (some search page that sells you adware) and anytime you change it, it just changes it back. Puts these .dll files in the system directory that does it. Fixing it is easy enough once you figure out which files are which....

What purpose is this supposed to serve? Is it the about:blank website people that are doing it? Do folks who get it actually buy the services offered to get rid of it?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
do a search. there is a thread with mucho information on your COOLWEBSEARCH trojan, which is probably still around but can be removed with CWShredder, available at download.com

abramsgunner

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
Hijackers in general send your pc to whatever website the author wants.. someone is probably getting paid per hit on said website.

Best tools for removal (google to find a downloads, most can be found at download.com):

cwshredder
adaware personal se
spybot search and destroy

download them ALL, install, update and run

These programs will remove about 90% of the spyware out there.. you need some special tools and knowledge to get the rest.. tools like "hijackthis" and "pocket killbox"... you'll need to find someone experienced it you need to use them, as you can hose your box if used incorrectly

PS: The about:blank homepage, just sends your browser to a local file each time you start your browser that reloads the trojan.. making it that much harder to get rid of

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
about:blank is my homepage. when I open a new browser, I never know where I am going to go so I don't want it to load, say "cnn.com" if I'm actually going to go to "ridemonkey.com". this just saves me a tab bit of time.

I have no idea what your issue is though.....

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
my friend's laptop just died. it's pretty funny. it still turns on, but it will not run the internet anymore, nor microsoft word or any other word processors, or for that matter, any programs at all. it just turns on and turns off now.