Quantcast

? about temp and psi

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
can temperature screw up tire psi this much....

my tires have a psi range of 35-65, i keep them right at 40psi. the last time i went riding was about 1.5 months ago, ive been busy. so yesterday i went for a ride and both tires were at 14psi. where i live, its been around 60 degrees at night and as high as 108 during the day. i keep my bike in my garage, so it sees even worse temps than that. can those types of temp changes zap my tire psi. i thought maybe i had two slow leaks but the last time i went riding, i was on pavement and im not usually around any thorns or anything and i use Mr. Tuffys too.

thanks

tnor

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Short answer: yes.

Be sure to pump up your tires every time before you ride, even if you just pumped them up the day before, it's always a good idea to check. If you hadn't touched them in a month and a half that's not that unusual that they would be down that low. On my road bike i've had it drop 10-20 psi in 24 hours. My mountain bike tends not to loose that much on a day to day basis but I still always check.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Pffft. In 1.5 months the tubes simply leaked as is normal. If tubes and tubeless tires were perfectly sealed and never leaked, temperature changes might change the actual psi a bit, but it would go back to normal with the temperature.