Quantcast

? about the cover of newest Decline issue

scene603

Chimp
Feb 3, 2005
They're currently being tested and ridden by a few select pros. They will be available in both white and black this fall along with a few other bike specific models. Look for them in the Olympics this summer in China on the feet of a few Team USA members.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
There friggin bad ass.........I have always been a fan of the vans sole and fit.....and I like the style of that shoe...it reminds me of the Oakley's that were so hot for awhile.

Now if FiveTen would just make a lighter SPD shoe..like the Sam Hill version on a diet with SPD that would be sweet.

Thanks guys.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
There friggin bad ass.........I have always been a fan of the vans sole and fit.....and I like the style of that shoe...it reminds me of the Oakley's that were so hot for awhile.

Now if FiveTen would just make a lighter SPD shoe..like the Sam Hill version on a diet with SPD that would be sweet.

Thanks guys.
but why??? Vans and maybe even Oakley I can understand but do you seriously think the 5.10 looks cool? They're not the best looking shoes outhere IMO.

Plus they are grippy enough as is don't you think?

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
I agree .they arent the best looking.......in fact I liked the old Intense ones the best........but what I am saying is maybe a bit less grip in the compound, a little better styling maybe, to shave some weight and the addition of an SPD........I think that would be a nice shoe. Something about those old blue and orange Intense ones were sweet.....I dont think they were as grippy either...............they were really nice....I still rock them around the garage.

The Fivetens are SUPER grippy...........maybe even to much in my opinion, and really heavy.

I'm really interested in those Prototype Vans.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
... I thought the whole point of 5.10s was to be grippy with out having spd. A spd 5.10 seems like it would defeat the purpose of having a 5.10 in the first place?

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
I think you are missing my point..................I agree about the orginal concept of the 510 shoe (Intense shoe), I'm talking about what I would like in a new 510 shoe.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, that about sums it up. 5.10s have an advantage over other shoes on flat pedals because they grip so well. What advantage would a spd 5.10 have over other spd shoes out there?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
They are protos forsure, it didn't seem like they had the SPD cutout location sorted. They will be sick when they do make production (if they do).
I was wondering about that when I saw the cover shot. It seemed a little awkward to me, but I figured that was where Bryn liked his cleat to be located or something.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yah I was going to say 5-10's making a clipless shoe would lose them street cred from the flat pedal crowd.
Therefore losing more of their original clients, than the few picked up by producing a spd model...

What about the Masterbater or Excavator or whatever shoe vans put out 6-8 yrs. back they were good
except the upper heel would wear through to the plastic, which hurt like hell...
But, fix that and I thought it was a cool enough shoe.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I remember Pete Loncarevich used to rock spd Vans BITD. I was dying to get my hands on a pair.
I have like 4 pairs of those lying around. Both the vans checkerboard ones, and the super sweet vans crossovers. If you look really closely, Jurgen Beneke has been making his comeback on some old school red crossovers. Best DH SPD shoes ever made.

Cross overs

The non cross over version, almost the same shoe.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I used to rock a set of the VMX Vans SPD shoes. They looked cool, and I liked the idea of the heel strap, but they just fell apart like nobodies business.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I think the second pic are the ones I was thinking of... Asymmetric tongue?
Ya, the asymmetrical tongue. The crossovers were a better shoes in my opinion. Both were super comfortable. As for them not lasting, I rode those blue and orange ones for about 3 years on and off (I had 2 pairs). The gray and orange ones i rode for about 2 season before the sole started to come off. When i threw them out, they were all wearing through the sole (usually heel peeling off, and worn around cleat).