Quantcast

About to leave for my first commute to the new job

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
It's been awhile since I've even ridden in the city, let alone the woods. Here's wishing myself luck that I don't get squished by a cab and my bike is where I left it when work is finished.

(mental note: don't leave without putting pants on)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
good news, I remembered the pants.

Not bad overall. 3.6 miles is a lot longer with only one gear even though the island is pretty damned flat. I'm so outta shape. Told my boss I rode in and he is keen to have me bring it up to my office rather than tempt fate on the street. I've got a call in to a person who would know about that. I just wonder if building security is going to give me any crap.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
spincrazy said:
Told my boss I rode in and he is keen to have me bring it up to my office rather than tempt fate on the street.
That's cool - one less thing to worry about.

Are you going to be commuting daily... or is this just a once-in-a-while deal?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
You can doeeit! Go Ant go!

You can try going straight up 1st and then cutting over. They've cut up the road surface on 6th Ave from 14th up to 18th (maybe 16th?) and it feels like a fireroad.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
spincrazy said:

Not bad overall. 3.6 miles is a lot longer with only one gear even though the island is pretty damned flat. I'm so outta shape. Told my boss I rode in and he is keen to have me bring it up to my office rather than tempt fate on the street. I've got a call in to a person who would know about that. I just wonder if building security is going to give me any crap.

Yes, they will give you crap. They always give crap about bikeys. See about using the freight elevator or maybe locking it in the basement somewhere.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
jacksonpt said:
That's cool - one less thing to worry about.

Are you going to be commuting daily... or is this just a once-in-a-while deal?
As of today, I am back to commuting everyday.

Yeah, I'm sure they will give me crap. There is a freight elevator, but I think its access is still through the main building lobby. I busted up 3rd to Cooper, cut across the backside of Union Square and up. 6th is pretty smooth above 23 right now. Traffic was going that way so I ended up too far over. Madison was alright. I'll take a different way everyday.

V-brakes are squeaky. Scares the track guys when you come up behind them:)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
good luck. thats about the distance i ride too. through the city, 3.5 miles seems like a lifetime sometimes. And my city isnt even a fourth of the size of yours.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
SkaredShtles said:
It's a nice hour-long commute each way. Except when I've got a 40mph headwind on the way home. :dead:
I remember those days vividly. Last 1/2 mile of my commute was a big ass 900 ft hill too. I was commuting on a mt bike with knobbies as well. Then I was working until 3 or 4 in the morning. If I stayed late, I could watch the sunrise while riding across the I90 bridge which was pretty damned sweet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
spincrazy said:
I remember those days vividly. Last 1/2 mile of my commute was a big ass 900 ft hill too. I was commuting on a mt bike with knobbies as well. Then I was working until 3 or 4 in the morning. If I stayed late, I could watch the sunrise while riding across the I90 bridge which was pretty damned sweet.
:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

spincrazy said:

It'd seem that, if your boss supports you, you ought to be able to deal with security easily enough.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
johnbryanpeters said:
It'd seem that, if your boss supports you, you ought to be able to deal with security easily enough.
I hope so. Huge corporation though and they can't control the building - 24 floors. We only have 4 of them. Still waiting to hear back from the person who would know about this. I just checked on the bike, still there. (New York Fahgettaboudit http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/PublicArticleDetails@public?artid=3037&atf=products_item&pgrp=20)