Quantcast

about to pull the trigger

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Assuming my shop can get me one, I'm about to pull the trigger on a CannondaleFlash Alloy 1. I had been looking at a Stumpjumper 29er Evo, but apparently they aren't available yet and I'm running out of time to wait.

All in all they are pretty similar, as near as I can tell. Biggest difference in specs is Lefty vs Fox (would prefer the fox, but I hear Leftys are better than most people realize/admit) and the single chain ring on the spec vs the double on the Cdale.

Geometry is pretty similar too, at least to the extent that I understand it. Top tube on the Spec is almost an inch shorter, HT is over an inch shorter and wheelbase is about 3/4 of an inch shorter. I'm not sure any of that is significant enough for me to notice much of a difference.

So while I'd prefer the stumpjumper, the fact that they aren't available kinda takes it out of the mix. Any reason to NOT get the Flash?

I've got a Surly 1x1 and a broken 575 (hoping to fix/replace it though)... so I'm really looking for a bike that falls in between the 2... something that can do a few races each year, but that is solid and fun for every day riding.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Would prefer to support my LBS if possible... they are Spec and Cdale dealer.

But otherwise that would probably fit the bill. Not crazy about the carbon frame or the $5000 price tag though.

Last edited:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
SC does make an aluminum Highball now but the Flash is a really nice frame. Next year's Lefty has a lot of improvements which are worth thinking about. More importantly though, the size difference you referenced between the Specialized and C'dale are really quite large so I'd double check the fit before going further.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
we sell a ton of Flash frames, both carbon and aluminum and most of our team is on them as well. they are sweet bikes (for a 29er ;)), especially for the money.
the Lefty really is a pretty nice fork and plenty stiff enough even for me @ 215lbs. as Mike B said, the new Lefty is pretty dope but it wont be out for a while and will sell out very fast....but you can always upgrade your Lefty to the new one's internals.

if your dealer cant get you one, let me know :brows:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Would prefer to support my LBS if possible... they are Spec and Cdale dealer.

But otherwise that would probably fit the bill. Not crazy about the carbon frame or the $5000 price tag though.
The aluminum HB lists at $2099 with a Reba fork. You could swap out to something like a RS Revelation or a Fox Float and have a world of stock wheels to choose from, or stick with a Lefty and custom builds.

Oh and the HB has switchable dropouts for SS...

I think Cannondale's insistence over the years for proprietary systems is fvckin retarded. The Lefty is stiff and light but I think the exclusivity makes it a snob's bike.

BTW - Santa Cruz was always top notch with quality and CS for me. I've built quite a few, one for myself and many for customers. They're nice.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I think Niner has their hardtail geometry really dialed in. The new Air 9 or even the lesser priced EMD build up very nicely. I had the carbon Air 9 last year and when I ordered a custom Ti frame this year, I only made a few small adjustments to the geometry.

The Air 9 you linked to is last year's model, the new ones get hydroformed tubes, tapered headtube, etc. Here in the east I would check with George at bike29.com or maybe the guys at Darkhorse to see what they might be able to do on a frame or build kit.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
According to their website/documentation, Niner only has a 2 year warranty? Seriously?
Years ago I bought a used Chameleon frame. I sent it to SC to have it refinished. They discovered a crack at the seat post keyhole just under the seat clamp. They honored the crash replacement on a 4 year old second frame and I got a new one for $25 more than the new powder coat was going to cost on the old one.

Highball dude. Just sayin.