Quantcast

About to try my hand at bikepacking

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Interesting ride this weekend. 80-100 miles Saturday with camping gear and food attached to a skinny tire bike, camp overnight... ride back in the AM via a different route.

Suppose to be pavement, gravel, dirt, and even single track. Should be interesting and eventful, in a good way hopefully. Prob have photos to post Monday if anyone is interested.

Here's a partial of the setup... testing a huge seat bag.

12003241_953336318041168_8938329673817144766_n.jpg

Attachments

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Interesting ride this weekend. 80-100 miles Saturday with camping gear and food attached to a skinny tire bike, camp overnight... ride back in the AM via a different route.

Suppose to be pavement, gravel, dirt, and even single track. Should be interesting and eventful, in a good way hopefully. Prob have photos to post Monday if anyone is interested.

Here's a partial of the setup... testing a huge seat bag.

View attachment 120688

Cool Bike...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Make sure to take some type of lock or security device. Had a friend who once had his bike stolen whilst over bike packing in the Alaskan interior...didnt think anyone else was about and paid for it. Eventually got it back ($3K bikes are rare in the interior...) but almost paid with his life for it...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My friend has done a little bikepacking and really enjoys it. She travels light, as in no tent, just a tarp and a minimal amount of gear. I'd want a tent, sleeping pad, and more than one pair of shorts. I like the idea of it for sure, my back, not so much.

Have fun man. Don't forget the duck tape and zip-ties.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Friend of mine did the Tour Divide. He got his bike all rigged up with custom bags. He carried a bivvy sack but just busted out the Credit Card and stayed in Hotels whenever possible. Sleeping in a real bed, taking showers and doing laundry make it all bearable for him. He did it in 23 days, which ain't too shabby for being a camping woos.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
My friend has done a little bikepacking and really enjoys it. She travels light, as in no tent, just a tarp and a minimal amount of gear. I'd want a tent, sleeping pad, and more than one pair of shorts. I like the idea of it for sure, my back, not so much.

Have fun man. Don't forget the duck tape and zip-ties.
I'm traveling about as light as I can. Camp stuff includes a hammock, hammock specific sleeping bag, tarp, some bare essential camp clothes. I discovered Voile Straps, outstanding if you ever need to secure something to your bike. Zip ties and a spoke included... haven't decided if I'll bring a spare tire yet though.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I have a Bob trailer sitting in the garage and doing nothing but holding a hockey bag. Waiting on AF retirement to take it out for a decent ride...
There are a few guys that are going to be hauling trailers. I've hauled my son around in one enough to know that climbing is not fun. Gonna be a rough day with 6-7k feet of climbing IMO.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
You are going to run bigger tires too?
Man, that's the real question. I'm not settled on anything yet. It's between a pair of 28c slicks, 32c Kenda Happy Mediums, 33c Clement MXPs or 40x Clement x'Plors.

Tought choice, the road/dirt is pretty evenly distributed. Question is: do I want to be comfy and corner hard in the dirt but drag on the pavement or go fast on the road and ride light in the dirt.