Quantcast

Absinthe, Malt Liquor & IPA - bad combination

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Absinthe... Last time I had that, when we woke up all the breakable items in the kitchen were broken in the middle of the floor and Goose was found curled up on the street with a crack whore. We don't drink absinthe anymore.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
No more absinte for me. It was the only time I had to hold on to the flor not to fall off of it...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The old drunk in me is not impressed.

Next time try: Absinthe, then Wild Turkey 101, then two vicodin, a few rounds of vodka, two fishbowl 151 drinks and then 2 40's of Steel Reserve sitting on the porch of your house at 8:30 at night.

That was a good night.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The old drunk in me is not impressed.

Next time try: Absinthe, then Wild Turkey 101, then two vicodin, a few rounds of vodka, two fishbowl 151 drinks and then 2 40's of Steel Reserve sitting on the porch of your house at 8:30 at night.

That was a good night.
If it was such a good night, why don't you drink any more?

BTW, I am a lightweight drinker, make of it what you will.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A deck of heroin, a metro pass, and a borrowed American Express card, and 4 days off work sounds like a winning the lottery, but in reality it is a really bad combination.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so what is the deal with absinthe, i know it was illegal in the US, but there is a version we can buy now?

what does everyone recommend? I would like to try the stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My understanding is that the possession and consumption of absinthe are legal in the US, but the selling of it is what is illegal. IE you could order it from somewhere in Europe and have it imported, as long as its for personal use.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so what is the deal with absinthe, i know it was illegal in the US, but there is a version we can buy now?

The domestic stuff has all the spices and ingredients that Absinthe has short of the wormwood extract that supposedly gives it psychoactive characteristics. All these folks that say they had crazy nights on the stuff just got drunk on sugary booze with a twist of suggestive placebo.

Edit: I take that back. Absinthe might actually have wormwood in now it but levels of Thujone, the psychoactive, chemical are so low you would die of alcohol poisoning before feeling the affects of thujone. Absinthe got its reputation because of famous artists and such would act strange while drunk on it. Reality is they all most likely just suffered mental illness.

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
We were passing through Heathrow Airport on a trip and had a 3hour layover. We stepped out, grabbed a cab and told him to drive to the nearest bar. After a pint of the local stout, I drank 2 absinthe, had a vodka tonic for the road, then went back to the airport.

MAN O MAN... the last hour in the airport was sooooo much fun that we barely caught the flight. The take off was the best, it felt like my head was sinking all the way through the headrest.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

it was legal to have and consume but illegal to sell. the laws have been changed and it as just like any other booze now.

I get most of my stuff from here.
http://www.alandia.de/

Strong68 is strong and bitter.

Mansinthe is Marilyn Manson's own creation. It isn't as bitter as Strong68 but quite herbal and tough to choke down; also quite a strong beverage.

Gothica is a bit corny sounding, but very strong and pretty dang tasty, and purple gets bonus points. One of my favorites, and well worth the price.

If you don't like the anise flavor, this is the stuff; it almost has no flavor at all, but the color is amazing. Gruene Fee

This is a solid set and the red one is pretty solid flavor, but not too exotic for a first experience.

My local Bevmo has a bundle of other kinds
Kubler is OK, but nothing special.

St George is pretty bitter, tasty, but expect bitter.

Lucid is available at my local Bevmo, but I think it is one of my last choices if given a choice.

Le Tourment is pretty tasty and one of my favorites for the stuff you can easily find in the states.

Also, don't do the Czech fire ritual unless you have the right spoon. Certain spoons don't have the right finish to handle the flame and the results won't be good. I would just suggest not to burn booze as a general rule.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The domestic stuff has all the spices and ingredients that Absinthe has short of the wormwood extract that supposedly gives it psychoactive characteristics. All these folks that say they had crazy nights on the stuff just got drunk on sugary booze with a twist of suggestive placebo.

Edit: I take that back. Absinthe might actually have wormwood in now it but levels of Thujone, the psychoactive, chemical are so low you would die of alcohol poisoning before feeling the affects of thujone. Absinthe got its reputation because of famous artists and such would act strange while drunk on it. Reality is they all most likely just suffered mental illness.
Well unless you're so drunk that you get stupid ideas like "let's smoke some weed while we can't differenciate up from down". One thing is quite sure. I won't touch weed either...

@Mandown - playing with fire while you're drinking something that gets you drunk faster than you can say "where am I" is generally not a good idea. Still remember my friend with some minor burns ;)

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
@westy - the thujone levels in the stuff i've tried from the czech world have supposedly been pretty dang high, and i've yet to have an acid-trip experience. i will say it is a different buzz than other booze, but then i also get a different buzz from beer vs. whiskey vs vodka vs...