Quantcast

Accidental 29er owner!!!!

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Well, I accidentally won THIS EBAY AUCTION recently. I never thought I would win with that bid....but never-the-less, I now own an On One Inbred 29er. I was planning to enter the 29er fold a bit later in the season with the new Raleigh XXIX or Haro Mary. I have only just begun to really research this particular bike & tho I had known they were relatively well thought of, there's not much aside from geometry that i am familiar with. In particular, what concerns/ considerations do you think I need to be aware of with this design (apparently there were some problems with weaker tugs)? I will likely run gears after I have acquired another set of wheels, but I am curious if I will need anything else to get started with my first 29er. Thanks for any & all help...:D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Congrats. I love mine. The only problem I've had so far is the rear wheel slipping. Mine came with puny bolts on the tugs that eventually rounded out before getting tight, so I replaced those with something beefier. I also reinforced the drive-side tug. No problems since. If you continue to run SS, get yourself a decent chain. I used to run the SRAM PC-1 with no problems on my small wheels, but noticed yesterday that after a month of use on the 29er, the PC-1 was already stretched almost 1/4".

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
BikeGeek said:
Congrats. I love mine. The only problem I've had so far is the rear wheel slipping. Mine came with puny bolts on the tugs that eventually rounded out before getting tight, so I replaced those with something beefier. I also reinforced the drive-side tug. No problems since. If you continue to run SS, get yourself a decent chain. I used to run the SRAM PC-1 with no problems on my small wheels, but noticed yesterday that after a month of use on the 29er, the PC-1 was already stretched almost 1/4".

....thanks for the tips! What specifically did you do to reinforce the tugs? I think I will be in SS for a bit initially....perhaps longer :sneaky:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
jncarpenter said:
....thanks for the tips! What specifically did you do to reinforce the tugs? I think I will be in SS for a bit initially....perhaps longer :sneaky:
I had a piece of steel bar from Home Depot from another project. It was roughly 1/8" thick and 1/2" wide. As you can see in the picture, I simply cut a piece of it about the same size as the tug, drilled holes, and mounted it along the outside of the drive-side tug with longer bolts. I'm sure it will eventually rust, but I just needed a little something extra to keep the tug from bending outward and so far it's done the job. I saw mention on the On-One forums that thicker tugs are in the works.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
MMcG said:
Sure looks good! Enjoy! gonna keep it as a single speed?
...I think I am gonna stick with the single gear for now. I mostly wanted the 29" bike for SS anyway, it tears it up in this format. Rode last night with the stock 32/ 18 & hammered the local trails. I have a couple options (20 & 22) if need be.