Quantcast

Accounting Monkies.....

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
I need your help!

I am applying for a position that requires me to have general knowledge of basic accounting principles (which I don't have) Are there any sources that you would reccommend that I could use to learn this material?

Thank-you! :)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Shyrmp said:
I need your help!

I am applying for a position that requires me to have general knowledge of basic accounting principles (which I don't have) Are there any sources that you would reccommend that I could use to learn this material?

Debits on the left
Credits on the right.

There you go, you now have basic knowledge covered

J

JRB

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Debits on the left
Credits on the right.

There you go, you now have basic knowledge covered
I know controllers that can't get that right, so I am not sure it matters.

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Debits on the left
Credits on the right.
Ever hear that joke about the accountant who worked for like 50 years..... everyday he would go to work and pull out a piece of paper from his desk and refer to it from time to time and no one was ever able to see it - until he retired. They went to his desk and pulled out the paper. It said "debits toward the window, credits toward the door."

or something like that :)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Shyrmp said:
I need your help!

What is the position (payables, bank rec's, etc)? Basic accounting principles can still be pretty inclusive, so a little more info on the job might may help us to put you in the right direction.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Go to the library and see if you can find some accounting reference books...sometimes they even have old textbooks.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Heidi said:
.sometimes they even have old textbooks.
OMG NOOOOOOOOO

My "Principles of Accounting" is the biggest freaking thickest text I think I have ever owned. It was 2 semesters of pain.

I think there is an "Accounting for Dummies" book. It probably goes over the basics in an easier, less then in depth manor.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
reflux said:
What is the position (payables, bank rec's, etc)? Basic accounting principles can still be pretty inclusive, so a little more info on the job might may help us to put you in the right direction.

Tax Fraud Investigator

Thanks Heidi, I had planned on hitting the library this weekend. I'm just trying to see if there are any texts people reccommend that they felt were useful for someone who has no clue. :D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Tax and accounting are totally different. I hate tax
That's because it's harder than accounting :) We (tax people) used to make fun of the accounting people. Oh what a bunch of geeks we were.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Shyrmp said:
Tax Fraud Investigator
They're right, tax can be hard, but only because some things make complete sense and others, you just kinda sit there and say wtf.

What kind of invest? Personal, corporate, property, sales, unemployment, etc?

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Tax and accounting are totally different. I hate tax
I hate taxes too, but it would be a stepping stone to moving up in my career :D

This is what I have to do, if it helps anyone:

In 300 words describe your knowledge of basic accounting principles; your knowledge of basic accounting principles, including bank deposits, and net worth; your knowledge of contents, access, and use of computerized or hard copy accounting records or microfilm; your ability to prepare schedules of income including indirect accounting methods; your knowledge and ability to review accounting systems and supporting documentation for the purpose of extracting both financial and transactional documentation to resolve issues under investigation and your knowledge of software application to develop computerized accounting principles.

No I'm not asking you to write it, I just am looking for reference material.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
I can assume you that MBC got the raw end of that deal.
2 things - do you mean assure??? What the hell do you mean were??? Heidi is still a geek.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Heidi said:
That's because it's harder than accounting :) We (tax people) used to make fun of the accounting people. Oh what a bunch of geeks we were.

I didnt say I wasnt good at it. I just said I hated it. :blah:

Besides we all made fun of the Finance -> International Business -> Marketing -> Business administration majors. :rolleyes:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
loco said:
2 things - do you mean assure??? What the hell do you mean were??? Heidi is still a geek.
Dude, if at first a sentence doesn't make sense, plug in a few words, transpose a few others, and re-read it only to realize it still makes no sense. If all fails, just nod, say okay, pretend you understood it, and move on.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Shyrmp said:
Tax Fraud Investigator

Thanks Heidi, I had planned on hitting the library this weekend. I'm just trying to see if there are any texts people reccommend that they felt were useful for someone who has no clue. :D
Dude, I love taxes! I love doing the taxes for my company :love:

I don't know about text books. I just kinda learned as I went.