Quantcast

ack! boot problems and missing internal harddrive?!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
To boot, I had to go to "Boot Sequence"(?), it's F12 as the computer is starting up. I manually selected "Boot from primary".

Why? How do I get it to auto-boot again?

Also, one of my internal harddrives -- my work in progress drive! -- isn't showing up.

WTF? Help!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sounds like your master boot record is corrupted.

Put in your Windows XP CD. After it goes through the driver loading and presents you with the installation startup screen, choose the "Repair Console" option. It'll drop you to a command prompt. Just type "fixmbr" - it's a utility included in the repair console.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
seriously, if you and Antimony ever come to Colorado, let me know, I owe you several meals and beers :)

However, I put in the "OS CD" that came with the computer. Dude, it's a Dell! The CD looks like some proprietary crap. Anywho, it locked up my system, so I rebooted, problems, boot menu, problems, boot menu, finally started back up and now all harddrives, network connections, whatever, all work again.

Strange.

I would like to fix the problem, but I'll try it at the end of the day since I'm able to function again.

Any third party programs you know of that I can download so I can avoid using the Dell 'startup' CD?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sure. Poke around Google for a copy of fdisk.exe - you'll need to create an MSDOS startup disk (can be done through the format menu in Windows), and copy fdisk to it.

When you start up to the command prompt, type: fdisk /mbr

Accomplishes the exact same result as the "fixmbr" program.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got several meals promised to me across the US and in South America as well. Maybe one of these days I'll just spend a summer travelling and collecting them ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
He posted the command for the forced, recursive removal of everything on your hard drive :rolleyes:

I hope he enjoyed his first four posts, they were his last.