Quantcast

Action Cam

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What's the haps with action cams these days? If I want to shoot footage that's suitable for upload to youtube and viewing on phones/tablets, etc (ie not on a 4k TV in front of 1000 people) what's the cheapest and best route forward?

Looks like gopro has the hero for $130, and polaroid has the cube...but I don't know anything about either.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
The cube is dire.
Get the Hero 4 silver edition, it will do everything you want, and then some.

Edit: I seem to keep misinterpreting threads today... sorry. The Hero you're referring to, is the best budget action cam. For best bang for buck, that has all the whistles, should you decide to stretch budget, the HEro 4 silver is the one to go for.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I too suggest a Gopro 3, you can pick up a Gopro 3 Black for pretty cheap these days and it will be phenomenal. I bought mine used and haven't had a problem whatsoever.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
No one ever really needs to check the view with a GoPro using your phone. When on your body, just make sure it's pointing up and not at the ground. For everything else, the lens is so wide, you need to be a complete retard to aim it away from the action.

That said, the WiFi remote is a fun toy to play with to take some selfies.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
went a little further down the rabbit hole than I would have liked, but it looks like the original SJCAM sj4000 offers a decent array of features for a budget price. $70 gets you one with the waterproof case and everything. Doesn't shoot in 4k resolution, but nothing I own displays in 4k resolution, so that's kind of moot.

PM inbound STIhacka

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
It's not all about features though, more importantly is the video quality / sensor (kinda like when people get hung up about megapixels when buying digital cameras, not realising that moar isn't necessarily moar bettar).

It's scenarios like this I really do believe that buying cheap, is buying twice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd be inclined to agree with you, and you're not wrong, but for the amount of use I'll get out of the thing, and the cost of it...you could buy twice and still come in about the same as a brand new Hero....and I've never seen myself ride, so it might be one video then into the trash.