Quantcast

Ad infinitum from Yeti

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You go through BB bearings in a day? :eek:

Regardless, I think a BB bearing seal is pretty crude compared to most suspension seals - and while I'm not sure about this particular application, Fox has been using SKF seals on a lot of products recently, which I've found to be quite good.
Real mud, like real caked on abrasive mud, yeah, well, more like 4 days of this stuff seems to be the average for one, but either way, a short lifespan. Would probably last a bit longer if you didn't wash it, but you really have no choice. Those days only happen when I go to the lift-assist DH resort because I think the fun outweighs the negatives (otherwise I'd XC in the muck too).

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yes, actual data would be nice instead of just numerous reports of EndurBro-speak.

How does it do with prolonged descents? Temperature/elevation changes? Anything empirical or just "nah it's all good bro"?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i think the PB article said rear ward axle path. let me go find it.

edit:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sb5-carbon-x-switch-infinity.html
Yes but what happens after it goes up? Does it go down immediately? Does it go down fast? Does it become very forward in the later parts of the travel? Wouldn't that be hurting stability when reaching bottom out? You can have rearward travel with normal links so I assume the whole magic thing is what happens after the initial rearwardness.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yes, actual data would be nice instead of just numerous reports of EndurBro-speak.

How does it do with prolonged descents? Temperature/elevation changes? Anything empirical or just "nah it's all good bro"?
Afraid teh carbonz will burn up on re-entry?

Looks pretty cool and as long as the Kashima doesn't fall of or seals need replacing every few rides, surely Marz could have made those bits.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's a pretty fancy single pivot.
It's actually not. While there's nothing wrong with a well designed single pivot anyway, that implies a single constant radius arc over the axle path, whereas this design allows deviation from that.

Of course you can have good and bad deviations, but judging by the main pivot migration profile here, the resultant changes to the anti-squat curve (increase in AS towards and beyond sag point with decrease towards end of travel to minimise pedal feedback) suggest that they have at least some idea about what they're doing.

At the very least I think it's cool to see different ways of achieving the same thing, especially when some existing designs are patented.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
At the very least I think it's cool to see different ways of achieving the same thing, especially when some existing designs are patented.
BINGO I have not ridden an AM type bike since 2000 and that was a 6" Orange Patriot LT considered a DH bike then but now would be AM. I would like to throw a leg over one of these if I get a chance. Mainly because its a fricking YETI and I always wanted an Ultimate...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

Because all the nerds need data to argue over on a bike they have never ridden. I'm ashamed it doesn't come with the linkage tapped for a temperature sensor so you can monitor during gnar descents to make sure your linkage isn't overheating.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Yes but what happens after it goes up? Does it go down immediately? Does it go down fast? Does it become very forward in the later parts of the travel? Wouldn't that be hurting stability when reaching bottom out? You can have rearward travel with normal links so I assume the whole magic thing is what happens after the initial rearwardness.
i actually contributed something to a thread here, please dont piss on my parade. :D

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Because all the nerds need data to argue over on a bike they have never ridden. I'm ashamed it doesn't come with the linkage tapped for a temperature sensor so you can monitor during gnar descents to make sure your linkage isn't overheating.
how can anyone know if it's even worth a test ride if we can't see the graphs and numbers and stuff first?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Leverage and axle path data is never going to tell you if a bike rides really well, but it will tell you if it's gonna ride really ****ty, or contrary to what the marketing hype would have you think otherwise.

And yeah, we now have to think about our damn linkages overheating. Sign of the times perhaps?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Riding a bike also tells you how it rides.
This is why I normally start demo'ing a XS bike and work my way up through the sizes until I found the right one. ;)
F*** gathering some info and make a conscious decision which bike in which size you want to demo. :D

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
It's actually not. While there's nothing wrong with a well designed single pivot anyway, that implies a single constant radius arc over the axle path, whereas this design allows deviation from that.

Of course you can have good and bad deviations, but judging by the main pivot migration profile here, the resultant changes to the anti-squat curve (increase in AS towards and beyond sag point with decrease towards end of travel to minimise pedal feedback) suggest that they have at least some idea about what they're doing.

Shock rate and braking will be classic single pivot.

Without seeing some more data on just how much it deviates from a classic single pivot it's all marketing.

I am not implying that it won't ride great, I currently ride a single pivot and love it.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I just like how many people call it garbage or it's going to fail/ride like crap/insert armchair engineer remarks here and it's barely even been released to the general public. Same goes for everything else though. You have a bunch of 'experts' that like to argue measurements and specs down to the gnat's ass.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I just like how many people call it garbage or it's going to fail/ride like crap/insert armchair engineer remarks here and it's barely even been released to the general public. Same goes for everything else though. You have a bunch of 'experts' that like to argue measurements and specs down to the gnat's ass.
Nobody said that at all? People just want something besides marketing hype for something that's a radical departure from the norm. That goes for any industry.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
seems like it'll have more of an axle "area" than an actual "path"

frank had a prototype bike like that years ago at sinister, can't remember the name but started with a "V"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
bit of an insult to Yeti in my opinion.
wait, saying that the infinity link is, while quite beautiful and intricate, a complication that achieves something that was debatably important a long time ago and really is just art for art's sake in the current world is an insult?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So it looks weird.
The last version is/was tits, and yeti claims this improves one of the less-than-desirable characteristics AND is lighter. New designs are new. You can't be limited by conventional thinking when trying to build/improve your 'thing', whatever that thing may be.

If only they had achieved the same movement with a small link and bearings ...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seems like it'll have more of an axle "area" than an actual "path"

frank had a prototype bike like that years ago at sinister, can't remember the name but started with a "V"
it's a normal axle path just like any dual short link bike. This uses a really complicated pivoting pivot to bypass a potential patent battle on short links that rotate then counterrotate. The axle paths and AS curves on the SB series don't even seem that crazy.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So it looks weird.
The last version is/was tits, and yeti claims this improves one of the less-than-desirable characteristics AND is lighter. New designs are new. You can't be limited by conventional thinking when trying to build/improve your 'thing', whatever that thing may be.
Yeti has presented many different suspension designs throughout their history. All of them were "the tits" according to their marketing department. And now look how many of them are still around? If you have a great system it needs tweaking to keep it up to date, VPP, Maestro, FSR, DW, single pivot come to mind. Why reinvent the wheel all the time if your system is performing awesome anyways?

But I know, John P gave the answer that involves schlong and women. I am just waiting how they market the womens version of the bike. ;) :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Why reinvent the wheel all the time if your system is performing awesome anyways?
I'm with you 100% on this one. IMO it was much more to do with business than anything else. (I rode the same frame for over 10 years because it rode great, and only disappeared due to patent conflict.) Did somebody say the Switch design was licensed from elsewhere? That could be reason enough to work on a "same but different" design. Even IF the 'old' switch patent wasn't secure or exclusive to Yeti, the bikes work really, really well. I don't see any reason for this change other than what I said in the last post, they improved it and made it lighter.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
it's a normal axle path just like any dual short link bike. This uses a really complicated pivoting pivot to bypass a potential patent battle on short links that rotate then counterrotate. The axle paths and AS curves on the SB series don't even seem that crazy.
Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Yeti is tired of paying fees to others based on patent "issues".

...but mostly they needed a bigger spot to stash the safety meeting goods now that the ganja is legal up there.:rockout:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Correct, the axle path is still fully constrained.

Nick, what they said about the old system being really sensitive to tolerances and deflection right around the inflection point 100% makes sense. From that standpoint at least, this design is a way better idea.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
wait, saying that the infinity link is, while quite beautiful and intricate, a complication that achieves something that was debatably important a long time ago and really is just art for art's sake in the current world is an insult?
Tourbillon is useless oil sheikh man jewelry imho... hopefully a new Yeti suspension design has utility in the world of mountain biking.