Quantcast

ad990's

rev_suicide

Chimp
Mar 2, 2009
Hi,

i know a few years back Dia Compe ad990's used to be pretty much the best brakes going for 20"ers.

Is this still the case? or are there now better?

Also anyone know the difference between ad990's and fs990's?

Many Thanks

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I don't think most bmx'ers even know the term '990' anymore. That style of brake is called a U-brake now. I had odyssey evo II's for a while and they worked well.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I call it 990. That is what it is really. U-brake is saved for a front BMX brake or a road bike where there is one hole for the entire brake mechanism to mount to. 990 has the 2 bosses like a v-brake and should never be referred to as a U-brake.

But then kids are lazy and U is less to say/type than 990.

Last edited:

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
When I rode bmx as a kid, 990's were freestyle brakes. And 'cantilever' brakes were just coming out on race bikes (now called v-brakes). Before that, lots of people ran 'pitbulls', which used a center-pull design that mounted in the single hole in the frame.

I can't remember what we called the brakes that mounted in the single hole though... I never heard them called u-brakes. Caliper brakes?

Remember forks with "990 mounts and peg bosses"?

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i love my odyssey evo II's. i run clear pads on them with a tech 77 lever and hombre springs. but those, or flys, or propers are the best

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I call it 990. That is what it is really. U-brake is saved for a front BMX brake or a road bike where there is one hole for the entire brake mechanism to mount to. 990 has the 2 bosses like a v-brake and should never be referred to as a U-brake.

But then kids are lazy and U is less to say/type than 990.
I'm pretty sure u-brakes have always been referred to as 990's and visa-versa because of the fact that they are the same thing..

Road brakes are referred to as caliper brakes. And most front-brake'd BMX rigs have bosses on the forks anyhow, I think? I don't mess with road much except for at work, but I do believe both brakes operate off of the same simple design. Could be wrong though?

Either way, I've heard great things of fly's and evo's. I plan to run fly's on my new build.

EDIT: check this thread for pics of peg bosses :D http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=473768
first time I ever saw them..
Sorry for the off-topicness, but sixgun started it!

Last edited: