Quantcast

Adaptability

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Having backyard trails is a blessing and a curse.

Its a blessing because I can ride or dig on a whim.

Its a blessing because I can use my walkie talkie to ask my gf very nicely to bring a water bottle up to the woods when I'm thirsty.

Its a blessing because I can ride/dig till I cant move and drop everyyhing and stagger down the yard to shower-booze-bbq-bed.

Its a curse because I have become programmed to ride the style of jumps/berms/rollers that I build.

Its a curse because I can fire up my loader to change a jump or roller to match my riding style instead of adapting my riding style to different types of jumps/rollers.

Its a curse because when I actually decide not to work on my trails and go somewhere else to ride I can't seem to ADAPT to the different riding conditions.

One riding skill I have really come to respect is not tailwhips or 360 turndowns (although I do love a slow uncorked 360 turndown) its adaptability. I have friends that seem like the can go anywhere and ride anything. Park, bmx, huge trails, dual slalom, downhill, its seems they can do it all well.

Experience=Adaptability, thats one place the old heads seem to have it.

I envy adaptability.:rant:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Hers a link to a little build edit.. maybe you already saw it...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209050

and a link to last years trail jam, keep in mind that it only focuses on one line because of the zip line, a top to bottom run is realisticly a 1/4 mile....

I am used to more of a racer style than the stuff you build, low and sideways like a 747 coming into the runway on a windy day, I am trying to learn to ride jumps that are more your style. I am slowly building lips that are taller and steeper, but I have to admit that I get a little scared at the super abrupt pop srtaight up into the air thats more like a space shuttle take off than a 747.

I am heading to a old school 20" spot this weekend, I'm gonna have to ask my mom to pack my lunch because I'm about to get schooled:biggrin:

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
just build different styles of jumps at your spot....build some straight up, straight down dubs and some big ski jump tables....then adapt to everything :biggrin:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I don't see any negatives to having the trails in that video in your back yard. None. I would never ride anywhere else.

willierides

Chimp
Sep 22, 2008
Upstate Ny
That looks awesome! I'm starting to get some ideas....can't wait to get something started at my house. Where are you? Like east coast or west coast? Not looking for specific location, just curious.

And what was with the police and fire vehicles in the video?

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
That's what having your own jumps is all about. If I build my jumps bigger, steeper, and farther than yours, I can come over and shred your spot better than you can.

BUT, I do like the idea of having something that anyone can ride.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Ted, the more stuff I see, and the more I ride, the more I realize I suck! I am not afraid to admit my deficiencies and will build out back to target them. You have a great thing going and it looks like plenty of space to put alt. lines that can get you some of your confidence and versatility!

I am an old guy compared to a bunch of posters, but a relative newcomer to DJ'n, and know that being comfortable in the air will help me in all facets of my riding from XC to DH...

DJ'n is fun. Versatiliy comes with having fun and new experiences. Cherish it! It really looks like you are making it happen for others as well that is sharing the stoke right there! :thumb:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
That looks awesome! I'm starting to get some ideas....can't wait to get something started at my house. Where are you? Like east coast or west coast? Not looking for specific location, just curious.

And what was with the police and fire vehicles in the video?

where are you in upstate?

TortugaTonta is here on the right coast!

willierides

Chimp
Sep 22, 2008
Upstate Ny
Oh yeah? My sister lives in Endicott or Endwell I can't recall. Get your dig on, so when I go to visit her I have something to ride! :biggrin:
There used to be some trails in Endwell. Not sure if they're still there, but I'm pretty sure that they haven't been active for a while.

willierides

Chimp
Sep 22, 2008
Upstate Ny
If I remember right I'm about 3 hours south of you in PA, I used to do a little racing at Broome Tioga, Unadilla and Hurricane Hills up that way.
Motocross is the reason I've been off the pedal bikes for the last few years. Not a lot of racing. Been to all three of those tracks as spectator, have ridden at Broome (so sad they don't have a national anymore). I'm about an hour and a half from HH, same or a bit more to Unadilla and about 40 minutes from Broome-Tioga. My favorite MX track is Miles Mtn in Elkland, PA. I think it blows all those other tracks away.

Anyway....I am determined to get back to the pedal bikes. I'm sore as hell right now and it feels good.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Motocross is the reason I've been off the pedal bikes for the last few years. Not a lot of racing. Been to all three of those tracks as spectator, have ridden at Broome (so sad they don't have a national anymore). I'm about an hour and a half from HH, same or a bit more to Unadilla and about 40 minutes from Broome-Tioga. My favorite MX track is Miles Mtn in Elkland, PA. I think it blows all those other tracks away.

Anyway....I am determined to get back to the pedal bikes. I'm sore as hell right now and it feels good.

bwahaha! my sister used to live in Whitney Point whose town motto is "best by a dam site" what ever that means! LOL I used to hear the races from their house! You ever been to "Greggs Big M" the local "super market"? That is like a glorified gas station mini-mart without the gas station! :crazy::biggrin: she also lived in Lisle NY right acros that stream from Whitney Point!

there is lots for farm and open land around you, and good soil t'boot, you should be able to find some good areas to build!

Hey Ted, any more pics of the new 170 berm? hows it ridin in? what else you got planned there?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
We were riding it monday and it is crazy fast because it is smooth and vert, so basically no brakes draggin elbow. Which is cool but it basically makes the line we had planned to build coming out impossible. We had planned a roller into a 3' deep bowl with a step up coming out but with a option line to the right that you would step up into a elevated left hand berm around a tree with a small lip coming out to step down back into the main line. the space we have to work with before what will be the next 180 berm would make everything to abrupt. I really want a step up to table to so I can learn to jump to manual, nothing is as butter as a nice step up to nose manual, just need a lot more dirt :rant: