Quantcast

Add Cannondale to the list!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
From the cool guys at http://www.twentynineinches.com here's this news on Cannondale's 29er offering:

I recieved confirmation today that Cannondale is going to introduce the much anticipated 29″er hardtail bike we all have seen and heard rumors about in mid September. Originally the working name for the project was “F-29″, but in an effort to distance the model from the traditional 26″ offerings, Cannondale has chose the name “Caffeine” to grace the top tube of its first 29 inch wheeled bike.

Some of the spec highlights include a Lefty Speed Bonded DLR2 with 80mm of travel, a SRAM X-7 trigger shifter set, SRAM X-7 rear derailluer, an LX front derailluer, FSA crank, Avid BB-5 brakes, and Exi Wolf 2.3″ tires. The approximate price for the new hard tail is $1599.99. Color choices will be the white/ orange/ blue Cannondale Team Bear Naked livery, or Raw aluminum.

We applaud an introduction of a new geared only 29″er, and especially one with a new suspension choice, (albeit a proprietary one). This should prove to be a popular interoduction. The word is that production numbers will be small at first, because Cannondale is testing the waters with this new introduction. If they see big numbers and quick turn arounds on the 29″er Caffeine, who knows? Maybe we’ll see other offerings out of Pennsylvania.

I think it'll be a sick looking bike in Raw aluminum. I'll throw some pics up when they surface.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the Lefty is an excellent fork, and given the clearance of even the regular forks, a natural for 29ers...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Heath Sherratt said:
Me either, they suck. Handbuilt, industry leading innovations, amazing customer service...they're garbage. I want one.
And motorcycles!

Sorry, I have that on the brain after Specialized's brouhaha... :p

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
I just passed up a cannondale singlespeed today on ebay that I am kicking myself in the butt about now.

Back on topic, I can't wait to see pics!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I saw the bike today in the new Cannondale catalog. Its called the Cannondale Caffeine 29'er. They no longer have the F series, well sorta its more the Caffeine series and they are called like the Caffeine F5 and such.

This is what it looks like...

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
MMcG said:
Just wishin right now. But I think it is cool that C-Dale is getting into the 29er game.

I'm dyin to try a lefty with the big hoops.
Yeah, It sure looks purty. 80mm on the lefty though? I might have to check that and run it at 100mm. We'll see. 80 was good on the single speed...but 100 was better :agree:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
Yeah, It sure looks purty. 80mm on the lefty though? I might have to check that and run it at 100mm. We'll see. 80 was good on the single speed...but 100 was better :agree:
Hmm, I bet when you remove the 20mm spacer, you will also be able to practice endos when the tire hits the bottom of the fork.

Seriously, I don't believe there is a 100mm 29er fork, partly due to the higher bar set up, and partly due to the "lack of need" for more travel. Isn't the 29 suppose to roll over anything?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
sanjuro said:
Hmm, I bet when you remove the 20mm spacer, you will also be able to practice endos when the tire hits the bottom of the fork.

Seriously, I don't believe there is a 100mm 29er fork, partly due to the higher bar set up, and partly due to the "lack of need" for more travel. Isn't the 29 suppose to roll over anything?
The Rock Shox reba can be set at either 80mm or 100mm
White Brothers offers 80,100, and 130mm fork options for 29ers
Maverick forks will also work with 29er wheels and I think can get 100 of travel as well.

And options will increase with time.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MMcG said:
The Rock Shox reba can be set at either 80mm or 100mm
White Brothers offers 80,100, and 130mm fork options for 29ers
Maverick forks will also work with 29er wheels and I think can get 100 of travel as well.

And options will increase with time.
thans for the correction.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm not really anti-Cannondale, but that thing is IMO hideous. I guess I've gotta see one in person. Maybe it's been setup, but every Lefty I've felt feels like there's sand on the inside too. We'll see though.