Quantcast

adding an mrp lrp questions

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
i want to add a 2 ring chain guide to my back up ride (heckler). i've used the mrp lrp before and found it adequate. i'm running two rings, the granny and the middle with bash guard now.

my question is: looking at the bb area (there are no mounts for the guide on this model heckler), it looks like i will be bumping the bb out about 10 mm (guide thickness), if the guide goes up against the frame (which i'm guessing it does).

will i need a new longer bb as well? i'm running truviative cranks with the outboard bb bearing design.

if you know of any other dependable 2 ring guides, mention that too please.

Last edited:

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
If it is the Howitzer set up I am not sure you can get a longer spindle, they may come in 2 lengths that are based on chainline. It may just mean you have to remove the spacers. That is just a guess and probably not any help.:(

Trial and error with the spacers??

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i want to add a 2 ring chain guide to my back up ride (heckler). i've used the mrp lrp before and found it adequate. i'm running two rings, the granny and the middle with bash guard now.

my question is: looking at the bb area (there are no mounts for the guide on this model heckler), it looks like i will be bumping the bb out about 10 mm (guide thickness), if the guide goes up against the frame (which i'm guessing it does).

will i need a new longer bb as well? i'm running truviative cranks with the outboard bb bearing design.

if you know of any other dependable 2 ring guides, mention that too please.
Thats the Howitzer setup

You should have at least one spacer on the drive side

one drive none none drive for a 73MM shell
two drive, one on the none f roa 68mm.

If your going to add a BB mounted chain device with your cranks, remove one spacer from the drive side, replace it with the chain device. If you have no spacers, your BB was not set up properly to begine with.

You shouldnt be bumping your BB out at all doing it this way.....Specially not 10MM's. Shouldnt be possible to move your cranks that far on any bike.

Last edited:

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
that's a relief since i won't have to buy a bb too. i think its a 68 mm bb. just eyeballing it looks like there is one spacer on the drive side and one on the non. i'll pull it and see.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Its the same BB for both 68 and 73.

If you have one on the drive, none on the non the shell is 73, the Spacers are 2.5 MM thick, you keep one on the drive side in case of using a BB mounted chain device, the two others are what make up the difference for 68 to 73, just replace the one spacer on the drive side with your chain device. Stupid easy to do.