Quantcast

Adjustable brakes on new Commencal???

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by EVRAC, Feb 29, 2008.

1. EVRAC

EVRAC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 9
    Something's not right with this:

How can different brake positions affect brake squat if the caliper is bolted to the swingarm. It's still the same rotor radius and angular deceleration. It will also cause the same torque on the swingarm. I think they're out to lunch on this one. Could be to do with the adjustable cs length, and the pr guys totally bungled it.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ZHendo

ZHendo Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 37
    the adjustable chainstay idea is pretty cool, but i too am skeptical of their claims regarding different levels of squat in the braking. i don't think it's possible to change the squat features unless it has some semi-floating design integrated into it that is somehow adjustable.

3. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    377 / 3,679
    ok let me try to explain this as clearly as possible...

when a disc brake is activated, it creates a force tangent to the point the caliper is contacting the rotor, and the vector direction of the force will be relative (or is it opposite?) to the direction the wheel is spinning. By changing the point at which the caliper contacts the rotor, you change the angle of the tangent direction of the force. this will affect your suspension performance based on the angle between the swingarm motion and the tangent direction of the brake force.

4. davep

davep Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Nope.

If that were the case, you could eleminate brake induced squat on a single pivot by simply 'pointing the vector' at the pivot.

5. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    377 / 3,679
    that couldn't work because the angular motion of the swingarm and the rotor are counter to one another (because of the location of the 2 axes in relation to one another). 2 opposite circles with 2 opposite forces that would only be truly parallel (and opposite) one another for only an instant at a single point. also, the angle (to ground normal) of the braking force changes as the bike moves through its travel, so its dependent on that as well.

6. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    377 / 3,679
    a side note on the above... with a fixed caliper the tangent angle of the braking force is dependent on the swingarm's position in its travel.

with a floating caliper brake mount, the point at which the caliper contacts the rotor stays in essentially the same position (and hence the angle of the braking force changes very little) regardless of where the bike is in its travel. this makes the braking forces fundamentally independent of the suspension. the downside? weight++

7. Fulton

Fulton Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    where did you quote this from? sounds like bs to me.

8. Steve M

Steve M Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 23
    Davep is correct as usual. You're totally forgetting that whatever force is generated at the caliper has to be opposed by a force at the axle, otherwise the wheel would translate relative to the swingarm, which clearly it can't. This creates a couple moment that is totally independent of the caliper's position anywhere around the rotor. The other force at work is the horizontal force acting through the axle (equal to the tyre's tractive force) which is what provides your actual deceleration. The moment generated by this is a product of the IC/pivot height over axle (which might be zero) multiplied by the horizontal deceleration force. If this is zero, the only pro-squat effect will be from the couple moment generated by the caliper/axle reaction pair. Neither of these components are affected by the position/orientation of the caliper on the swingarm or relative to the axle. The Commencal claim is simply false.

9. kerbdrop

kerbdrop Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I hope you are joking? :twitch:

10. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    377 / 3,679

thanks for the clarification :thumb:

11. ChrisKring

ChrisKring Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 4

Good analysis. I was sketching out the forces and moments because I was sure that the axle was providing an opposing force. Thanks for saving me the time.

12. EVRAC

EVRAC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 9
    Thanks DaveP, Socket and ChrisKring. We are in agreement.

The claim is bs.

13. Hannu

Hannu Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    You should remember that this claim is not made by Commencal, or is it? Where is that first quote from?

14. dhkid

dhkid Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    i am very surprised that commencal would say something like that, i really hope its not coming from them.:disgust1:

15. EVRAC

EVRAC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 9
  16. P.T.W

P.T.W Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Does anybody remember the 1st protype Tomac 204 single pivot(the 1 after the Lawall frame)It was displayed with a so called floating brake,but the lever arm was conected back to the swing arm near the pivot.:banghead:
    The article said somthing along the lines that when Doug Bradbury was questioned about this,he replied that seeing as the torque rod pointed at the main pivot it transferd braking forces back into it????WTF:crazy:
    Right up to that point i used to admire an lust after anything that Doug designed.Funny that it disapeared on the production frames tho:clapping: