Quantcast

Adjustable Chainstay length-Espec or useful?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You heard it folks, I see more and more bikes with adjustable chainstays, anybody actually adjust them relatively often? Per Race? Per season?

I like the idea, i mean, who doesnt? But does anybody think that there is a huge difference between 17.5 and 17.75? This isnt directed at any bike in particular, but more of the result of riding a friends 450 (liking it alot) and than wondering, would i like it more if i changed the geo? (yeah idiot, go try it) <- i know. I love my demo with a short chainstay, my jedi is the smoothest bike i have owned. 2.5 inches of rearwards on that. The question i guess becomes how important is chainstay length? Is it worth having it adjustable? Does my mom have to build me a custom chainstay demo? :p

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
My take is that it's nice to have it there, even if you only change it once. I like the G3 on the intense bikes because stock 17.5 might be a bit long proportionally for someone like me who rides a small, and may be a bit short for someone who rides a large.

But at the end of the day, any decent rider will get used to how a bike behaves in a certain configuration. The effect of being able to change it is probably most likely placebo IMO.

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
on my 951 i noticed the difference between the middle and the long chain stay settings not just from the extended chain stay but the little bit lower, little bit slacker, little bit longer wheelbase all added up to a more stable feel on the faster rougher stuff. I ended up changing to the middle setting for a course that was more smooth pedally and jumpy. I wouldn't say they are necessary adjustments to have if it well balanced for you out of the box but can be useful to fine tune to your preference. also i don't think its worth having if it over complicates the frame and creaks and squeaks then it just becomes a piss off.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i use it on my summum, when i ride locally, i use 2 mins to throw in the short ones, and the long ones for liftparks.

does make a difference, i dont swap out per day, but i do use and like it loads.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Adjustable geo is not only for you to tweak it every 5 minutes. It makes allows the bike to be tweaked to your needs. One person rides tight and twisty and the other fast and open. It's quite obvious they will need different CS lengths.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
...need...
I wouldn't call it a make or break feature for searching for bikes. I'd say getting used to how a bike behaves is is just as important as changing the bike to suit you when you're really looking to make it an extension of your body.

I will admit that some bikes I've had in the past would have been better with shorter chainstays or a more linear setting or slacker head angle, but I've never really thought about that while riding. That usually just comes to me when I'm staring at the bike at home!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I wouldn't call it a make or break feature for searching for bikes. I'd say getting used to how a bike behaves is is just as important as changing the bike to suit you when you're really looking to make it an extension of your body.

I will admit that some bikes I've had in the past would have been better with shorter chainstays or a more linear setting or slacker head angle, but I've never really thought about that while riding. That usually just comes to me when I'm staring at the bike at home!
I'm a bit picky but I'd still say that it influences how you ride on an unconscious level. Yes it's not a make or break feature. If I like the CS length on a bike I will just buy it but it broadens the target group for the company since both people who want short and long rear ends will be interested with the bike (again not a make or break feature but still it helps)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Adjustable geo is not for 'you' per say, it makes the bike more adjustable for the manufacturer to open up sales to different riders, who ride different terrain (so cal guy may ride different stuff than a guy who lives/rides in morzine). That being said, I tweak my geo when I ride different tracks, sure I could run what I have, but nice to optimize.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I'm not a fan based on my experience trying adjustments at races. When I showed up to different tracks and tweaked geometry not only did I have a new track to learn... I also had a new bike to learn. All those little bits also require more maintenance and increase the chances of creaks/squeaks.

Edited

My experience was related to HA/BB

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I know a guy on a m9 who is shorter smaller then me,he rolls it in the shortest cause he says the middle is not as maneuverable for him,me I run it in the middle cause I guess im stronger ?!?!?! its all personal,like stick said they put it their for diff corses,or just for diff clients who want a american bike but maybe 1 little degree/increment less.