Quantcast

Adjustable hose extenders for brake lines.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm picturing a little barrel that you just cut your lines and put in place, that can be extended or reduced by winding in, just like Avid, and Formulas adjusters work, but not connected to lever body. Ideally it'd have a spinning hose connector so lines wouldn't get wound up, but I don't think it's a necessity. Maybe a steep pitch thread would solve this, so a full turn would change hose length heaps.
Does anyone make these?
I'm guessing not.
Can someone knock some up, it could all be done on a lathe, and would make brakes without them so much better. Pad adjust on Shimano brakes for example.
They could probably be made out of some existing hardware even. Or someone might know something from another industry that could be used.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The logistics of making something like this, that doesn't leak like a sieve, are daunting. Even a swiveling hose connector would be a neat trick. Much simpler to put this adjustment in the the lever body. Also, this wouldn't make any difference in an open system. The excess fluid would just get pushed into the reservoir.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The logistics of making something like this, that doesn't leak like a sieve, are daunting. Even a swiveling hose connector would be a neat trick. Much simpler to put this adjustment in the the lever body. Also, this wouldn't make any difference in an open system. The excess fluid would just get pushed into the reservoir.
Correct. All the existing pad contact point adjusters rely on adjusting the distance the lever moves before it blocks off the reservoir port and begins to pressurise the system. It's a bit of a bandaid as it is - Shimano's ones do next to nothing, but then the same can be said for 80% of Avid brakes...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
id think the tolerances would have to be pretty damn close but i think itll still leak once you apply pressure to the system from the lever