Quantcast

Adjustable Rate Coil Spring

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It would be neat for setting up a new bike and when you're not sure of the needed spring.

But at first glance (haven't read the PB article in full), it doesn't actually have much tuning range, it costs as much as two springs and its plastic so I'm sure it'll eventually break.

Tldr;

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It would be neat for setting up a new bike and when you're not sure of the needed spring.

But at first glance (haven't read the PB article in full), it doesn't actually have much tuning range, it costs as much as two springs and its plastic so I'm sure it'll eventually break.

Tldr;
Didn't read, concluded it would break. You must have a PhD in online engineering.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Race cars have been using a similar if not simpler application since forever. Not as easily adjusted but neither is an air pump.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I def dig it the idea. Having only 50lb increments is dumb imo. Thats one of the major reasons why I switched to air.

The price is a tad high, but it comes with their spring and their custom plastic piece so its not that terrible

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Looks like the range is 60lbs for the trail springs, 40-50lbs for enduro, and 30-40lbs for DH. If they had a full complement of springs with significant overlap you could grab something that covers the full range you'd want to cover (25 lbs on an enduro spring would be enough for the use case I have in mind), unfortunately they only have 4 springs per range. If you happen to need something that lines up with their chosen rates it could be handy.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I mean, unlike increasing preload, this does actually change the spring rate.

Not sure that I need it, and I definitely have a strong dose of skepticism that anything from the CB guys won't be explode-y, but it's not a bad idea.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This has been working on the auto/moto industry for ages. If you guys up north don't feel like feeding da Lizzzurdds™, just head up to the closest Autozone and buy these for 5 bucks a piece:

The MTB application seems like a good adaptation. It simplifies the spring rate change and even tabulates it. The main con I can find is the price, but YMMV.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have no opinion on this, but I have an anecdote. My best riding buddy is Giant’s Global Team Manager. He just got back from suspension testing with FOX in Arizona. I showed him this thing yesterday, and he wants a few of them ASAP, he said it would probably save them a few hours of wrenching time a season helping to find the right spring rate without removing shocks.
His budget is unlimited essentially for tools, so I get it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I mean, unlike increasing preload, this does actually change the spring rate.
Okay, I didn't actually look at it. :D

What does it do, move the load further up the coil on one end to increase the rate? Like cutting a coil off?

This is one of the benefits to being old and having ridden coil shocks for a long time........whatever the spring rate I need.....I have one......somewhere. I think it's in that box. No, must be the other one. Nah maybe on that shelf over there.

Nevermind, age sucks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

What does it do, move the load further up the coil on one end to increase the rate? Like cutting a coil off?

This is one of the benefits to being old and having ridden coil shocks for a long time........whatever the spring rate I need.....I have one......somewhere. I think it's in that box. No, must be the other one. Nah maybe on that shelf over there.

Nevermind, age sucks.
lockout for a coil.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Yeah, it fills the gap between coils at one end, effectively removing some. In small, adjustable increments.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I don't think most people are perceptive enough to notice 5lb changes in spring-rate, but if you're a bit of a nerd it's a pretty cool gizmo. The major downside IMHO is that it's got pretty limited range, so you still need to raid Woo's shed and try out a couple coils to find the rate closest to ideal before you drop $140 on this thing to dial it in perfectly.

Cool gizmo, every WC mechanic will own 5, and I give the company 6 months before they either go tits up of get bought out by Fox for $27 and a case of NOS RP3s.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
This idea was already implemented (successfully) in the original Pike coil U-turn forks. If you decrease travel without increasing spring rate the fork takes less force to use all travel (i.e. bottoms out easier), so RS's solution was to wind a piece into the spring at the same time to disable some of its active length and thus increase the rate. The detents could have been a bit stronger for resisting wind-out but it worked pretty well. Strength would be a concern on a rear shock too but otherwise the theory is correct.

No interest personally, but this is the kind of stuff that will get more rich uphill warriors back on coils, and as a result more coil products for people who still like suspension that actually moves. Net positive.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I’m on a 400 and I could use a bit more, but 450 is too much. I can see the draw. Would this impact fatigue and life?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This idea was already implemented (successfully) in the original Pike coil U-turn forks.
Fun fact: the U-Turn was designed and patented by Wolfgang Ebersbach of Eberminator fame. He later sold the patent to Rock Shox. His own Eberminator forks were quite popular in the German DH scene.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I’m on a 400 and I could use a bit more, but 450 is too much. I can see the draw. Would this impact fatigue and life?
425 might be your lucky number!

And according to the fairly accurate science of numerology:
"Number 425 represents a vibration spectrum of number 4, number 2, five 5

“You spend too much time on your duties,” is what the Four in the message of the angels means. However, drawbacks in personal life - or complete absence of it - cannot be compensated for by hard work. Diligence is an excellent quality. But only when combined with other essential components of your life, it brings a feeling of happiness.

The Two sent by the angels in this case means that in the very near future circumstances will present you with a dilemma on which a lot can depend. Use the qualities of this number to make the correct choice - diplomacy, sensibility and the ability to see the "golden middle". In this case, no negative results will follow.

The Five in the message of heaven is the last warning. If you go on indulging your desire to enjoy life at any cost, you will find a huge disappointment, in this area in particular. Everyone has to pay for pleasure sooner or later."

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
This is the type of product that could convince me to go back to a coil rear shock.

25-50 lb increment springs are simply not precise enough, especially if you use your bike for more than 1 type of riding (different clothing, water and gear weight), and even more so if you on the lighter side of the body weight spectrum.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is the type of product that could convince me to go back to a coil rear shock.

25-50 lb increment springs are simply not precise enough, especially if you use your bike for more than 1 type of riding (different clothing, water and gear weight), and even more so if you on the lighter side of the body weight spectrum.
:nerd: