Quantcast

Adjusting Bullit Geometry

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
How could I slacken/lower it a bit with the stock size shock (8.5x2.5)? Would I have to get a custom shuttle? I'd like to have two setups: stock, and slacker and lower, using one shock.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've seen pics of people putting longer shocks in there and removing the shuttle altogether to not change the geometry. You could do the same but keep your stock sized shock.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Would it be okay to mount the shock with a bolt and spacer/reducers w/o the shuttle?
I don't see why not. The shuttle is bolted to the frame either way so what difference would it make. Check first by loosly bolting the shock in there without spring to see if your wheel hits your seat or seat tube.

-Danno-

Chimp
Jan 31, 2006
I don't see why not. The shuttle is bolted to the frame either way so what difference would it make. Check first by loosly bolting the shock in there without spring to see if your wheel hits your seat or seat tube.
The tire will hit the seat tube on an 04 with the 8.5 X 2.5 direct mounted. People swear it would even hit on the 01 with the bent seat tube, but mine appears to just clear.

Checking is a good idea. It helps to just pull the shock, set the bike down, let the tire hit the seat tube and measure the compressed i2i length. That'll let you know what your options are.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
How could I slacken/lower it a bit with the stock size shock (8.5x2.5)? Would I have to get a custom shuttle? I'd like to have two setups: stock, and slacker and lower, using one shock.
only way to do it would be a custom shuttle, shorter shock or a 24", even the shorter shock will let the rear tire bump the seat tube in the slackest setting. (You know that the stock shuttle has two settings right?)

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
i debated doing this on my bullit before the bike was hit by a car, now i have a V10.

i had the 8.75x2.75 5th element ($99 from santa cruz).

you can remove the shuttle and enlarge the holes to fit a shock bolt, and use a rear mounting bushing on the front. this way you can slacken the ht angle. this would also allow you get the longer travel shock, and when that is used it would steepen the ht angle, but still not be too steep.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'd rather not enlarge the holes if I don't have to. What are the two positions of the stock shuttle? Just flipping it over. I did that and took pics from the same angle, and there wasn't a change in geometry.

I'll see if the it clears the seattube when I get home, friday/saturday.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Simply slide the shuttle (forwards & backwards) & use the "two" sets of bolt holes that you want.
I use a 8.75"x2.75" shock with the shuttle in the slack position(shuttle forward toward the headtube), & use a tall 2005-66RC fork.I could always get a standard 8.5"x2.5" to get slacker if i want too!

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I'd rather not enlarge the holes if I don't have to. What are the two positions of the stock shuttle? Just flipping it over. I did that and took pics from the same angle, and there wasn't a change in geometry.

I'll see if the it clears the seattube when I get home, friday/saturday.
enlarging the holes is the only way to direct mount the shock to the frame. if you still want to use the shuttle, you can enlarge the holes in the shuttle as well. a shock bolt is a larger diameter than the shuttle bolts.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Moving the shuttle foward will lower the BB and slacken the head angle. If I remember correctly BB changes about 0.75" and head angle by about 1.5 degrees.
That would be a noticeable difference. So, the shuttle has 3 frame mounting holes? I forget.