Quantcast

Adjusting in-line housing adjusters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On some road bikes, there is a barrel adjuster near the lever which is called an in-line adjuster:

I was working on one to adjust a front derailleur, and for the life of me, I could not figure it out. Is there a trick to push it forward or back, or hold the housing?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
it is possible that the adjustment screw is completly out of the threads, if so reinsert it and replace the cable, also it could be that the plastic widget is rounded out on the inside if so replace that. but do bear in mind this adjuster is for fine tunning only not to fix a poorly set up front der. if that is the case unhook the cable and start over.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
maxyedor said:
it is possible that the adjustment screw is completly out of the threads, if so reinsert it and replace the cable, also it could be that the plastic widget is rounded out on the inside if so replace that. but do bear in mind this adjuster is for fine tunning only not to fix a poorly set up front der. if that is the case unhook the cable and start over.
Well, I had move the cage about one mm out. But I will probably take it apart and put it back together.

This is not the first one i had problems with. I am not sure what is wrong with barrel adjusters that bike manufacturers have to spec this.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
These things are necessary for front gear lines when you can't have a barrel adjuster at the housing stop near the head-tube. No front derailleurs have barrel adjusters, so you gotta put one somewhere.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My boss gave me the answer:

1. Hold the small piece of housing, then push the inline adjuster towards the small piece. The inner stop pushes against the housing, allowing it to turn.

2. If it still doesn't work (here is my boss's tip), then bend the small piece so it wedges against the inner stop. The little tweak made all the difference.