Quantcast

Adjusting QR lever. Disk brakes rubbing.

T-RO

Chimp
Nov 25, 2010
Deltona, FL
In order to transport my bike i have to remove the front wheel. Last weekend when i put it back on and started riding i started to hear an occasional squeek. Like every now and then it would happen when the wheel was turning.
Also I noticed my disk brakes rubbing (mechanical disks) intermittently while the front wheel was turning.

Its a brand new bike so i think its operator error.
I think its because im adjusting the front wheel incorrectly when I put it back on.

I have been adjusting the QR lever so it leaves a mark on my hand when i push it like everyone suggest. What about threading the nuts though? Should i only thread the non lever side, or both? How much do i adjust them? I think maybe the wheel is too far to one side if possible, maybe thats causing my issues?

Thanks

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
your doing the QR correctly when putting the wheel on. you only want a slight imprint of the handle on the palm of your hand. when removing the wheel, you should only be turning the QR about 5-6 turns or so to get it out of the fork. when you put the wheel back on, it's best to have it in the fork, but on the ground. then tighten the QR.

as far as the brake rubbing, it could be caused by the caliper being out of alignment or the rotor is slightly bent. one way to try to re-align it would be to loosen the caliper from the mounts that are attached to the fork or frame. loosen them enough so that the caliper moves a little. squeeze the brake lever and hold it. while doing that, tighten the caliper again. that is one easy fix to help. if it still rubs, it may be the rotor. that's if it's only rubbing at a certain point. if it constantly rubs, and the caliper re-adj. didn't work then play with the cable tension a bit