Quantcast

Adobe

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
This is just a method for creating extremely durable jumps that could last for years with little to no maintainance after the enitial building. Just for reference, i live in new mexico, which is one of the most respected and well known locations for adobe structures.

First get the ingredients which are conveniently in the ground. 40% sand 40% clay and 20% loam. You can add straw or cement dust for added strenght and durability. Mix all of this until like cookie dough with water. Pour the mixture of 40% sand 40% clay and 20% loam into 10"X6"X4" molds and let sit for 20 minutes. You can just make the molds out of 2X4s. After this take out the brick and let it sit in a relatively well shaded area for about 1 to two weeks. then make another mixture and put the bricks up on the face of a relatively well packed face. and procede in making the jump like making a chimney out of regular bricks, just instead on a slope. Put this new mixture, which is a little more liquidy than the previously mixture on the packed face and in between each brick. Let the structure sit for atleast one week to dry and solidify.

The advantages to this method is that it has been known to last well over 100 years and is extremely durable in many environments, unless you get over like 60 or 70 inches of precip a year. This method can be particularly useful if you live in the central US, southwest, or west, and have a problem with cracking jumps in the winter, or dusty and basically destroyed jumps during the summer especially if straw is added as it allows for expasion and contraction, just dont add too much straw as it will not allow for enough contact between the mud.

This may be helpful or a complete waste of time, but somebody could find it useful.:imstupid:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
thats crazy, none of that in the northeast-just clay here, which works well but you make ur jumps like indian houses?

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Ya, i have used a similar method, not specifically making individual bricks. I have done a method where i make like a liquidy putty mixture and just kind of like spackle the face of the jump making this mixture like 4 or 5 inches thick. I also mixed cement powder into the mixture, so this thing was solid with about 70 percent clay, 20 percent sand, and 10 percent loam . I had to take it down because the trasition did not feel right. The only problem was cracking, but i just then got some really fine dirt and filled in the cracks. It felt just as hard as cement, but it takes a lot of work and patience.