Quantcast

Advantages of a half-link chain?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I'm building up a Single speed dirt-jump/street hardtail. Coming from a bighit I'm pretty abusive to my rear end and the chain (I crank hard).

Anyhow, I'm trying to deside what sort of chain to use? I hear KMC single speed chains are good, but I dont know anything about them...and I watched a BMX guy break 3 in one DJ session awhile back. And I hear half-links are the way to go for a single speed, but why?

Basically I'm just looking for some chain ideas, throw 'em at me!

P.S. While we're at it, anyone using a Juicy 7 or 5 brake or Magura Marta SL's for DJ? I want a hydro brake since I just love the feel of them, rear only (for now...but I may get a disc upfront later) and I plan to put straight line levers on right away, unless I get Magura, since they have carbon levers and the red bling already.

Thanks

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
A half link chain will let you "slam" your rear wheel in the dropouts. It's basically just more flexibility on chain length. With a regular chain, you really have to remove or add two lengths when shortening or adding to the chain. You only have to change one link on a half link. Plus, half links look cool.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I don't care for the half link chains b/c one they usually run heavier and two, the links are very particular as far as pressing pins in and out. I just haven't had a lot of luck out of them I guess.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
It's possible to get a single half link for regular (single speed) chains, for fine tuning the length. As far as I know chains composed of only half links are done for entirely cosmetic reasons.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So it sounds like a regular chain and a few half links are the way to go ehh?

Anyone have a chain recommendation?

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
I have a halflink on my p bike, it works well for slamming the cs length.

I have a juicy 7 on my p as well and rode it rear only for a while (now I run f and r brakes on it), it's an awesome brake as far as hydros go. I love the rapid adjust knob, I dont know anything about magura disc other than they tend to not be that great in the past. The 7 is significantly better than the in terms of feel imo.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yes. get the sl710 chain, light and strong.
and you'll only need one half link, not a few.

also, u dont need hydro brakes for street/dj.... mechs work fine if disks is the way u want to go. get the avid mech disks. perfect.

good luck!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Off topic: Mr Tiles, this is your one and only warning to change your damn avatar or i'm going to come down there and try to squish you like I have been that friggin annoying bug on my screen! You're an asshole for making me feel like an asshole!

Fish777

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
I don't care for the half link chains b/c one they usually run heavier and two, the links are very particular as far as pressing pins in and out. I just haven't had a lot of luck out of them I guess.
Now that I have a half link chain I am in TOTAL agreement with the above quote. I'll wear this one out and go back to a standard KMC with a single half link.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Off topic: Mr Tiles, this is your one and only warning to change your damn avatar or i'm going to come down there and try to squish you like I have been that friggin annoying bug on my screen! You're an asshole for making me feel like an asshole!
skip the meds today? :busted::twitch::monkey:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, I ran the TSC interlock V2 last season and it was fine. Fairly easy to install (although some chain breaker tools don't like the half-links), never had any beefs with the pins either... but it was pretty heavy and a bit over priced.
Now I've been running the KMC 710SL this season, but with one half-link to dial the wheelbase. Super easy to install (and easy to remove too since I disassemble my bike often to put it in the bike bag for travel), decent weight and price and looks smooth. Strength is no worry either.

The KHE hollow-pin half-link is super light too and looks trick, but I have yet to try it and seems rather pricey...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Sounds good, looks like I should go for a KMC single speed chain. And I'm set on getting juicy 7's now...as I can get a rear '08 and straightline levers for less than the whole magura rear...working at a shop has its benefits.

Should be ordering my good next week after I get my paycheck, wish me luck! :-)

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I think these are getting hard to find too...
yeah I don't know, I've never really looked into bti'ing one, but I believe they come with a very limited # of links as well, since they were primarily designed for bmx (super short cs's) and may not fit mtb's with like 15.6+ long chainstays and anything larger than super tiny micro-drive...

it is listed as being lighter than the KMC 710SL (hollow-pin/plate), but I wonder if that is due to having a smaller amount of links????

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
good question, I have no idea. I would assume chains come in the same general length and I wouldn't have any reservations buying the hollow half for a mtb. even so, I still don't see how it could be lighter than the SL. One thing I did notice was how much wider and burly my SL is over the standard kmc (510?) I had on their before.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
good question, I have no idea. I would assume chains come in the same general length and I wouldn't have any reservations buying the hollow half for a mtb. even so, I still don't see how it could be lighter than the SL. One thing I did notice was how much wider and burly my SL is over the standard kmc (510?) I had on their before.
yeah, generally they are similar lengths, well at least most geared chains are like 118links or something for example, but what I was saying in the above post is that the KHE hollow-half will NOT fit some mtb's with longer chainstays and larger gearing!!! a fellow on another forum found this out the hard way after ordering one up.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
could i put a half link from my current shadow interlock chain on a kmc sl?
They are different widths, I just attached the two the other day... It may work, but may cause a stiff link, but I didn't run it to try... The shadow's pin was way longer than the kmc, but shouldn't cause much of a problem I guess...

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
If you really snap chains alot get a kmc 415h street, its pretty much a mini dirbike chain, just make sure you geta sproket ment for it, thats what I'm waiting for.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
If you really snap chains alot get a kmc 415h street, its pretty much a mini dirbike chain, just make sure you geta sproket ment for it, thats what I'm waiting for.
yeah, I ran one back quite a few years back on my old WTP thrillseeker with a t1 sprocket (when I thought I needed all the overbuilt tank stuff, haha). Fit chunky on my old thread on freewheel type set-up though (before cassette hubs hit big).
But if you ask me now, it's way over kill, not to mention, the tight/loose spots were Horrible with that chain for some reason.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i'm looking at the industry chain. made for micro drive, $9 and 10 ounces at full length...

probably put a half link to get the wheelbase dialed like tiles said, i need to take a link out of my khe to get the wheel slammed but its kind of a bitch to do isnt it?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
So it sounds like a regular chain and a few half links are the way to go ehh?
Anyone have a chain recommendation?
I just buy ~$8 KMC bmx chains. You can get half links that fit them, and at that price, you can afford to replace them fairly frequently. Doing so will minimize the risk of breakage, and reduce the wear on sprockets and cogs, because the chain will not have time to "stretch" much. I ran a KMC pintle (half-links) for a while, and liked the fact that I could remove it really easily. (cotter pin) for cleaning. I used a grinder to save my chainbreaker when I first got it.... the pins are a bitch to remove otherwise. :D

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I ran a KMC Pintle but it snapped with some pedal pressure rolling out fakie. Not at the 'master' link either. It broke on the crease on the side plates and not at the pins or pulling away from the pins like normal.