Quantcast

Advantages of a Highroller as a front tire?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Does anyone here run the Highroller up front instead of the standard Minion? I'm thinking of trying it. It looks like a few of the world cup dudes run it, any particular reason? Better in the wet? More predictable slide?

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
In my opinion, I prefer the DHF as a front tire, when running a mixed set. For rockier courses I run the High Roller on both the front and rear. DHF gets run as a front tire with a High Roller on the rear, or DHF/DHF for less rocky courses. But overall I prefer a uniform set of tires, and then for rockier tracks I prefer the High Roller. For looser tracks I go for the DHF.

From my experience the High Roller has a higher grip level, but breaks away without any notice. And I find the DHF to be super predictable, but the overall grip level to be less. So when I have run a HR front and DHF rear, I feel the setup has only oversteer, and the resulting drift from the excessive front grip is easy to control, unless the front breaks away and then all speed is killed.

When I have run the DHF front and HR rear I feel the front has a bit of understeer, until the rear breaks away and then the drift is hard to catch unless I scrub all my speed.

Thus I prefer a uniform set of tires, in which case I usually go for the High Rollers, unless I am racing Fontana (sandy/loose trails) in which case I run the DHFs.

Last edited: