Quantcast

"Advantages" of bigger wheels and angular momentum

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I will say, back in the day when I had 24/26s, the bike handled really weird, and I preferred it with the same size wheels one way or the other. I recall the front wheel being very "floppy", though I can't put how that would be the wheels fault and only the wheels. So much has changed since then that it really isn't worth basing much on, except "why bother"

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I will say, back in the day when I had 24/26s, the bike handled really weird, and I preferred it with the same size wheels one way or the other. I recall the front wheel being very "floppy", though I can't put how that would be the wheels fault and only the wheels. So much has changed since then that it really isn't worth basing much on, except "why bother"

it was floppy because it was slacker than it was designed to be...my old 24/26er was the same way

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was running the avy fork at the time, so +65mm of offset, which is where I think a lot of my problems came from...well some of them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I loved hearing people justify that purchase. It was the best.
Yeah I don't know why that bike was ever made, much less purchased.

I didn't think they turned particularly weird but you definitely had to keep two running assessments going in your head: what the front wheel will plow over, and then what the back wheel will plow over

Because they definitely weren't the same.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Was this the Arrow DS-3?
;)

I actually kinda miss that bike. It was a beast to pedal with the BB pivot placement, but it was sure fun to ride downhill. Liked it with either 26/24 or better yet, dual 24's. Felt NINJA with that setup.

Last edited: