Quantcast

Adventures in Oswegoland

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Saturday it poured by me and our regular ride got rained out. Because my local trails take so long to dry out and I needed a ride so bad CDT and I decided to make the trip to SawWeeKee park in Oswego on Sunday.

SWK is a former gravel mine that has been used by the horses for years, and now is just recently being maintained by bikers. It has very sandy soil which dries quickly, lots of loose stuff in places and is a roller coaster ride of quick ups and downs.

CDT and I crashed repeatedly on slippery roots and loose stones. One of the funniest (as I hear it) was a slo-mo over the bars which I finally stopped by coming down on my head. You will have to ask CDT about how it looked, because as I was involved, I didn't get to see it.

I had only been out there once before when it was still brown from the winter and now that it is green, it looked completely different. I had no idea where I was most of the time and the complete lack of signage made navigation even trickier.

Eventually, we had wandered onto the gun range. Some signage would really help riders keep out of here.

CDT wanted to pose in front of one of the targets, but I said to him, "didn't you see this sign?"

He said he didn't care and wanted to get the picture anyhow. So we went and posed by the target.

Just then a big red truck pulled up and opened fire. CDT got hit...

but I manged to escape. I didn't get a picture of the truck, but I did get the license plate it was an Illinois plate, RDNCK4EVA. I know we shouldn't have been out there, but wouldn't a warning shot have been appropriate?

Anyhow, I managed to log 7 miles in 2 hours at Oswego. It's some tough terrain.

I hustled out of there and started driving home. On the way I saw a sign for very reasonably priced gas, so I stopped...

and the day's tragic events began to slip from my mind.

While I drove home I started to think how little mileage I got in on the day, and I wanted to do more. Since everything would still be sloppy, I decided to hit our big paved loop, Busse Woods.

I parked, pumped the tires up to 50 psi and let it rip. Here I was able to double my mileage in less than 1/2 the time I had put in already.

Afterwards, I stopped at the Mexican store to get supplies for tacos for dinner. When I was looking at the fresh meats, I remembered CDT. I hope he's OK. :rolleyes: He wasn't moving very much when I saw him last. Maybe I should have called the police, or an ambulance, or offered him a band-aid.

Last edited: