Quantcast

Advertisement issues

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Well here is an interesting one. It got me in trouble at work. I browsed RM today from work which I usually don't do. Well within an hour of me going to the site, the security people at my work came to me asking if I was going to the site called "ridemonkey", and they wanted to scan my PC because they said it looked like the site tried to install some adware called "savenow".

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Annoying like, "it makes noise without me asking it to"? Or annoying like, "it blinks and makes me want to stab someone. The voices in my head won't stop."?

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Well here is an interesting one. It got me in trouble at work. I browsed RM today from work which I usually don't do. Well within an hour of me going to the site, the security people at my work came to me asking if I was going to the site called "ridemonkey", and they wanted to scan my PC because they said it looked like the site tried to install some adware called "savenow".
You don't perchance happen to have any more specifics than that do you? These kids of things can be really hard to track down, and the more info the better.

I'd gladly send your IT dudes some RM swag in exchange for a report of what they saw. :)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Annoying like, "it makes noise without me asking it to"? Or annoying like, "it blinks and makes me want to stab someone. The voices in my head won't stop."?
it makes noise without me asking it to. when i move my mouse from the slide bar on the right to the middle of the page, it always rolls over it and wishes me a happy thanksgiving. i guess its getting ready for November already.

the voices are another story and i dont think its because of RM, but my gf might disagree

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
it makes noise without me asking it to. when i move my mouse from the slide bar on the right to the middle of the page, it always rolls over it and wishes me a happy thanksgiving. i guess its getting ready for November already.

the voices are another story and i dont think its because of RM, but my gf might disagree
An ad does this? Does it still? Can you take a screen capture and grab the link?

Then I can find it!

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
You don't perchance happen to have any more specifics than that do you? These kids of things can be really hard to track down, and the more info the better.
I'd gladly send your IT dudes some RM swag in exchange for a report of what they saw. :)
Sorry can't help you out. Although nobody said so, I think this got me in big trouble. I already got moved to a less private desk (I suspect to keep closer eye on me).

It sucks. I just went to RM because someone sent me a PM about a condo I rent out at Snowshoe.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Sorry can't help you out. Although nobody said so, I think this got me in big trouble. I already got moved to a less private desk (I suspect to keep closer eye on me).

It sucks. I just went to RM because someone sent me a PM about a condo I rent out at Snowshoe.
Aw crap I'm super sorry about that. :( Epic fail on our part.

:(

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Just got a "Haaaaapy Thanksgiving!", but had already clicked away from the page so I'm not sure which ad it was. Not sure if you've blocked whichever it was that ih8rice stated, but if so it didn't work...

Last edited:

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-080414-3713-99

Use Chrome for play and IE or Firefox for work. When playing browse in incognito mode.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry, we've been busy with other stuff with the site; I'll put it back on the list of things to address.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Vernal's Caribbean Vacations or something is my problem. Today I wanted to try to searching for , "How to bleed brakes" so I can learn properly how to do it, you know, like get air bubbles out of the line and such... When I clicked on the Search link, the box drops down BEHIND the ad and it won't let me see the box to type in. The ad stays in front. I'm using Safari on a crappy think pad.

While you're figuring this out, a few Brake Bleed links on RM would be nice.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Very much depends on what it is that you want... If you want more ad info email me and I can help get you in touch with the right people!

I just got hit with audio, full volume, telling me "you need web site development". Was in the lounge, did not select an ad - actually started when I was on another tab in Chrome browser, so I killed the RM tab rather than investigate with my ears getting blasted off.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just got a pop up, something along the lines of "Take our survey!". Sorry no screen grab, work computer, and I closed it out before I thought to try and get any information off of it. I know thats not much to go on, sorry. :(

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I'm getting a Jeep ad that is occupying the entire black part of the page in the lounge. There are the 2 normal ads, one along the top of the page, and one on the right side, and a large jeep one that moves the threads down to make room for itself. It also slows down my computer when it is being displayed. Only happens in the lounge.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's a page takeover ad. We run a couple campaigns a year for those. They occupy mostly blank space - I'm not sure why it's slowing your computer down, it's only a background image.

When you say "slows down my computer" - what do you mean, exactly? Is it only scrolling down that particular page that slows down? The whole machine responding slower? Clicks not responding?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Seems odd that it slows down your system so much - I can look into it, but it's not slowing down even my slow devices (e.g. old cell phone, old development desktop at work). What browser/OS/specs?

Anyone else experiencing this?