Quantcast

Advice: Best sub $300 gun purchase

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I grew up hunting and shooting and stuff. Sold all of my guns in grad school to pay bills and all I have now is a Benelli 12 gauge. The wife and I have been shooting a lot of clays lately. We take turns throwing and shooting so one shotgun is good enough. MzDNA is a natural with a gun., there must be a genetic component as her Dad is a great shot and so is her brother (who was a sniper instructor when he was a Marine.

Anyway, I am attempting to convince her we need another gun so that we can shoot at the range too. I am thinking either a .22 pistol or a .22 rifle. Low recoil and cheap ammo. $300 or less is a likely price point.

The short list ...

S&W 22a
Beretta Neos
Ruger 10/22
Marlin 925

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I have a marlin 795 and its fun to shoot, Picked it up at Big5 for $99 bucks. its no less acurate than any of the rugers I've shot. Only downside is you cant blow through rounds like you can with the ruger. The only aftermarket mags are 15 round, while with the ruger you can blow through 50rd. mags in secconds. Check out the savage .22's if you get a chance they are pretty nice. But for $300-400 you can get a 30-06 Remingtion 770 if you wanted something with a kick and a bolt.

Also with .22's its best to go to a store and feel them because some of them can feel like bb guns (size wize), some have longer stocks than others.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Second for the 10/22. Had one for almost a decade and I've put many large boxes of ammo through it. Got a 10x scope on it now but even with the fixed sights it was a solid gun.

Wore out a spring in the mag and replaced it with a higher capacity one for about $20, and its probably going to need a return spring for the bolt soon. Even with all those rounds, I get nice tight groups tho. I've got a steel spinner target about 2-3 inches across and on a good day I can empty the clip into it rapid fire from 50 yards with no problem.

ping ping ping

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Got my wife a 10/22. It gets the most use of any of our guns now. Great gun, good price, and fun as hell to shoot.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My 2 mostly used guns are my Ruger 10/22 and my Browining Buckmark 5"bbl.

Anything withing 25yds I'm with the buckmark. Up to 150yds, 10/22.

What's fun is putting up those coloring book pages and tracing the pic with .22's at 50yds.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I went with the Neos. Reviews were good (especially on the accuracy), plus it came with a case and an extra magazine and was on sale.

Shoots like a champ and seems to eat anything.