Quantcast

advice 'bout buying a 2006 Mongoose Fireball

qlr

Chimp
Feb 12, 2008
Hello ridemonkeys, first time here, first post, be gentile.

I was thinking of buying a bike, cuz i used to ride, but never did in a long time, and to be honest, i'm in need of exercise cus i'm a fat geek now.

Thing is my friend has a '06er Mongoose Fireball for sale and i want to ask you about if it's worth it or not. He's asking about $800 for it, it is in pretty good condition and has nice diskbrakes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Never spend a lot on a first bike.

My advice is to view your first bike as an eventual city/commuter/beater bike... something that you're willing to lock up in front of a grocery store.

I'm not familiar with that Mongoose, but before you buy, borrow it for a weekend and ride it like you expect to ride. Is it comfortable? Do you have a neck/back ache afterwards? Do you feel like you're reaching too far for the handlebars or maybe they're too close?

If it FITS and you love it, buy it.

Otherwise, buy new from an LBS. One that will give you free knowledge, fit the bike to you, and give free tune-ups. Spend less than $350, ride it for a year or two, keep it, buy a better new one when you've learned more.

Wear a helmet :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
lol, he's owns an IT store :P
forgot to mention, i live in romania, prices are a bit higher here...but DAMN +$350, that's heavy...
Well depending on the country with shipping and duties you could pay double MSRP or more brand new but it still seems high.

qlr

Chimp
Feb 12, 2008
lol after i showd him the link, he kinda signed out, LOL

-edit-

anyhow, thx guys for saveing my money, hope i'll be back with a) another, better bike or b) this one at a decent price

good night

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
lol after i showd him the link, he kinda signed out, LOL

-edit-

anyhow, thx guys for saveing my money, hope i'll be back with a) another, better bike or b) this one at a decent price

good night
re-read post #3.

Jibby

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
Madison
Mongoose has a bad rap for all their walmart crap, but their real bikes are sick and well equipped.

I still think a real friend would sell you his old '06 fireball for under 300 (American, heh!)

I'd get a Ritual Street, or Dirt depending on how you want to huck it.

And not spend a lot on a first bike? All that happens then is you try your buddy's nice bike and wish you spent more!

Jibby

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
Madison
Ever heard of a Triple Black Diamond? ECD? Ritual High? Or are you just some cock who thinks the only real bikes say Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Foes or Karpiel on the downtube? Cause if you are I can go right back to ignoring lame internet **** and riding my bike..which ironically enough, isn't a Mongoose