Quantcast

Advice for a good first bike?

Webb97

Chimp
Aug 5, 2010
I went on a vacation with the family to Lake Arrowhead last weekend and found a mountain bike in the garage. I took it out for a spin and had a lot of fun. This seems like something I'd like to get into, but I don't want to make a significant investment just yet.

Does anybody have any advice for a good affordable first bike? I'm not completely novice as I grew up racing bmx and can handle some steep and rocky terrain.

Thanks everyone.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Go to a shop that carries a few good brands and try some stuff out. For a cheap first bike, look for a "do-all" type hardtail that isn't too heavy, but has good parts and a decent fork. Something like a Diamondback Response might be a good fit. You can get one for about $400 complete.

While it won't win races, it will get you on the trails and will give you a taste without breaking the bank.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Specialized Hard Rock or Rock Hopper.

Not too pricey and everyone's heard of them so, if you decide you love the sport you can get upgrades to what is still a very decent frame or easily sell the bike because its popular.

Webb97

Chimp
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks, I think it might have been a rock hopper that I was riding last weekend.

I'll start looking for deals now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Before buying a bike off ebay or another online retailer, you might want to look at the shop, first. Yes, buying a bike online is cheaper most of the time, but unless you KNOW what size is right, it's a crap shoot.

Something like a new Hardrock is a great start (my LBS doesn't carry Specialized, so I don't know their bikes as well).

Webb97

Chimp
Aug 5, 2010
I'm sure you're right but the only way i can get a bike is by using my ebay gift cards.

Maybe I can go to a shop and sit on a few and remember the sizes that felt good.

How are sizes usually measured so i Know what to remember with the bikes that feel good?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I'm sure you're right but the only way i can get a bike is by using my ebay gift cards.

How are sizes usually measured so i Know what to remember with the bikes that feel good?
Most shops will help you with maintenance if you buy from them as well. But if you have to go the eBay route then post it on here before you buy to get some advice.

Hard tails are measured for the vertical tube under the seat in inches.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am 6'4" and usually ride an 18" or 19" (or a Large) depending on the top tube length. But I like a little more standover.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
You can get a pretty good idea just from your height:
If you are under 5'8 go for a small (16" frame)
If you are 6' to 6'3 you'll need a large (19-20" frame)
Everything in between will be a medium (17-18" frame)

Always best to go to a shop and test ride some bikes... find one that fits and ask what size it is... then start bidding on decent bikes that are the same size.

Here's a good large for you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/05-Specialized-FSR-XC-Mountain-Bike-MTB-Upgrades-Large-/280544793710?pt=Mountain_Bikes#ht_947wt_1139

or maybe this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Bianchi-Sok-29-LARGE-/130418011788?pt=Mountain_Bikes#ht_500wt_1154

Here's a couple of good mediums:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Fisher-Sugar-3-XTR-disc-brakes-Med-mountain-bike-/170521918753?pt=Mountain_Bikes#ht_1040wt_1139

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GARY-FISHER-F-R-DISC-MEDIUM-17-5-INCH-FREE-SHIPNG-USA-/330453772692?pt=Mountain_Bikes#ht_500wt_1154

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I had a 4900 back in the day... came with a red RS Judy. Frame is still in my garage as my "beater" bike if you want to call it that. It has all spare parts on it, but it's a respectable build.
mine is a 2002 or so? Still have it, still rides nice, kicking the idea around of selling it, but not so sure.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn JD... I'm 6' and I feel really cramped on an 18. You must have tiny arms:
Depends on the 18", as stated before. The RM7 I bought for a friend (and may repo because it hasn't been ridden) is an 18" and fits perfect for what it's built for. My Stinky was a 19", but I didn't like the standover (2000 model?).

When I was looking at trail bikes, I was right between an 18 and 19 based on the top tube length. I prefer the standover of most 18's, but you are righ about the cramping factor.

I do ride with my saddle back so that helps, but I don't much care for long stems, so whatever frame it is needs to have a longer tt.

I don't have short arms, either.