Quantcast

Advice for n00bs

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Splat and I have decided to do the 24 Hours of Adrenaline in Dalton, MA, June 26/27 (four man team). This will be a first for both of us.

Any advice for a couple of 24 hour race newbies? Anything we need to keep in mind while preparing? I know I'll need to buy camping stuff, and we'll need to recruit a wrench and a cook (and two more teammates). I'll also need to buy lights and some camping gear, although I can probably just sleep in the back of the Outback.

I suppose in a perfect world, we'd recruit a teammate who has some 24 hour race experience, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Any advice would be appreciated. :cool: I know there will be a million tiny things we'll have to pack, but I'm looking for some high level advice here.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm so happy for you! I think everyone should try a 24 Hour Race in their lifetime. I've got that event down pat now after last year - I'm almost robotic like.

You got all the big stuff - just remember to plan for everything.

Bring all the warm stuff, and the cold. Bring dry clothes for every lap. A good trick if you don't have enough is to wash them out and dry them in your car. Just shove them down by the floor heat or drape them over the steering wheel and turn the heat on high.

Take food you really like, it's hard to eat at those things and you never know what your stomach will do until you've tested it. I do lots of long distance training and races so I now know what I can and can't eat. It's always fun learning....I used to have a picture of me barfing up a banana at my 2nd 24 Hour race. :p :p :p

I like fire. Bring enough wood for a fire all night. It's nice for the crew to have somewhere warm to sit, and for you to sit and warm up after a lap. I always come back in - eat, change into warm clothes, and sleep. Not sure if the sleep thing will happen for you though. Lots of people find it hard to sleep during those events. I always bring ear plugs.

Have fun dude, I'm sure I'll think of more. Sorry if I got to detailed.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Heidi A good trick if you don't have enough is to wash them out and dry them in your car. Just shove them down by the floor heat or drape them over the steering wheel and turn the heat on high.[/B]
That has to leave a great smell :p

With a four person team and depending how long the course is(I can only draw on experience from 24hr@Snowshoe)your probably only going to get in three laps; four max.
So for clothing: 4 jerseys, 4 shorts, socks(you can never bring too many), arm warmers, knee warmers, 1 full pant(it's cold in the mtns. in the early spring, esp. @ night), vest, windbreaker, 2 pair shoes minimun(every rode with cold wet shoes, it sucks), gloves are like socks so bring 'em all, 2 helmets(I cracked one once), rain jacket-always bring the rain jacket.
For gear: PLEASE DON'T FORGET THE BIKE!!!!(I just had to say that because I know sombody that forgot), an extra set of wheels, a tool box with bike specific tools and enough spare bike parts as though you were going to build another bike, i.e., (r. derail.,brake pads, seat, seatpost(and yes, I've actually snapped one off), chain lube(Pedros ex dry is great, and no, I not advertising), shop rags, small bottle of dish soap(wash bike down after possible muddy lap), med, soft bristle brush(like the Park bike wash brushes, again, not endorsing), small Rubbermaid tub(for water to wash bike in case event does set up bike wash stations), KEEP THINKING, YOU'LL FIND MORE.
FOOD: Don't eat anything that you normally wouldn't eat. And don't eat a lot at one time. Bring your own water, and lots of it, definately!!!!

I could go on and on, but it would take me as long to put it in words on this post as it would to prepare for the event. SO>>>> somebody else fix him up on anything I left out.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MojoJojo
With a four person team and depending how long the course is(I can only draw on experience from 24hr@Snowshoe)your probably only going to get in three laps; four max.
I wouldn't say that....my 5 person team had two riders do 6 laps, and the rest do 5. Moral - always be prepared with extra clothes, food, water, and energy.:p

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Heidi
I wouldn't say that....my 5 person team had two riders do 6 laps, and the rest do 5. Moral - always be prepared with extra clothes, food, water, and energy.:p
I always thought it was a four man team. Am I wrong? Is it actually a five man team? 24 Hours of Adrenaline has not released the 2004 website yet, so I can't get info from them.

In any case, we have signed up Jollytime for racer #3. :) Still need two more.

Originally posted by Heidi
You all did the "short loop" the last year. 2000 and 2001 were fifteen miles. I believe the Enchanted Forest and Lower Beaver sections were cut out and the "new loop" was approx. 7.5mi. I missed out last year:( ,no team and overworked. Hopefully this year. Me and another of my psycotic riding partners are trying to put together a 5 person single speed team.

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I always thought it was a four man team. Am I wrong? Is it actually a five man team? 24 Hours of Adrenaline has not released the 2004 website yet, so I can't get info from them.

In any case, we have signed up Jollytime for racer #3. :) Still need two more.
Couldn't give ya any info on that one. 24@Snowshoe is a GrannyGear event, the Adrenalins are not.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
If you are still looking, I am definitely interested!!!

Last year, I did the wednesday race series at Dalton. The week before the race we did the 24 hour course, my time was about 1 hour. I liked the course-easiest way to describe it for me is it had 3 parts. 1st part was mostly singletrack without any major climbs, 2nd part was all climbing(not steep but long) and the 3rd part was all downhill, nothing crazy but real fast.

I've never done a 24 hour but I know the trails there, some of the people and would really like to give it a try!!

Last year, there were 4 person and 5 person teams.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think 5 person teams have to have a female.

I'm getting my feet wet with 24 hour racing in Feb in Tucson, I'll be sure and let you all know what lessons we learn :devil:

Maybe we'll see you in MA as well!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Hmm. Well in Tucson, in order to have a 5 person team, you have to have at least one female, and she has to do equal lap rotations with the males.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Echo
Hmm. Well in Tucson, in order to have a 5 person team, you have to have at least one female, and she has to do equal lap rotations with the males.
Is that part of the "Adrenaline" series? Maybe the series you are racing in has different rules.

Ehhhh...anyone that knows, feel free to clarify for us. :cool:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
WHAT !! 8 laps for me! You are too funny! :D
My name is douglas not Heidi !

I found this info:

24 Hours of Adrenalin™ Event Format

Teams
Riders participate as Solo or on teams of 2, 4, 5 or 6 -10 people, taking turns riding a lap. After each lap a rider passes a baton to the next rider, similar to a running relay. The goal is to complete as many laps as possible in the 24-hour period of time.

http://www.mtbr.com/races/2003_adrenalin/

If I remeber correctly, I am pretty sure the 6-10 are corporate only teams.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by douglas
WHAT !! 8 laps for me! You are too funny! :D
My name is douglas not Heidi !

I found this info:

24 Hours of Adrenalin™ Event Format

Teams
Riders participate as Solo or on teams of 2, 4, 5 or 6 -10 people, taking turns riding a lap. After each lap a rider passes a baton to the next rider, similar to a running relay. The goal is to complete as many laps as possible in the 24-hour period of time.

http://www.mtbr.com/races/2003_adrenalin/

If I remeber correctly, I am pretty sure the 6-10 are corporate only teams.
Ahhh! So there is both a five man category, and a five person co-ed category. Sweet.

Mark, of course you're in. :cool:

Last year was $110/person registration.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Ahhh! So there is both a five man category, and a five person co-ed category. Sweet.

Mark, of course you're in. :cool:

Last year was $110/person registration.
Wooo Hoo!

I'm stoked!

Between Splat and JT do you think we have enough wrenching skills on our team?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by MMcG
Wooo Hoo!

I'm stoked!

Between Splat and JT do you think we have enough wrenching skills on our team?
Yes. But I think the purpose of a mechanic is so the racers don't have to worry about it. JT is bringing Lisa. She can cook AND wrench. :p

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Having a wrench who isn't racing is definitely the hot setup. At the 6 hour race we did this year, when I came in from a lap I just handed my bike to Meat Whistle, told him what it needed, and went about getting some food and drink. Every lap my bike was perfect :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
we'll have a cook!!

this just keeps getting better !

also: I also believe there is a requirement for each team to provide (can be a racer or a friend) to do a couple hours of volunteer work.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by douglas
also: I also believe there is a requirement for each team to provide (can be a racer or a friend) to do a couple hours of volunteer work.
I heard about that. I will speak to Jollytime tonight and ask to borrow his wife. :D :p

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by splat
I have a good friend of mine who This might be right up hisalley of something he might like to do, He is a good wrench too.
Do you mean to race? Another guy on the team would put us into one of those corporate categories.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Echo
Pretty soon you guys will be able to make 2 teams! Let the smack talking begin! :devil:
I'd like to keep the teams to four or five, but if we find that a lot of our friends want to race, we could do two teams. I like the way Team A looks: Splat, Douglas, IAB, MMcG, Jollytime. :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That definitely sounds like a great team! I'll start bugging the Jackalopes tonite, Tweek and Crashby might be down for some pain, and Mtbkngrl and Gee Spot are suckers for endurance racing :devil:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have been wanting to do 24 solo this year but can't sucker anyone into being my support. Would any other :monkey: teams be interested in helping a solo :monkey: from Virginia? I would supply large amounts of beer.:D :D