Quantcast

Advice for n00bs

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Westy
I have been wanting to do 24 solo this year but can't sucker anyone into being my support. Would any other :monkey: teams be interested in helping a solo :monkey: from Virginia? I would supply large amounts of beer.:D :D
Dude. I hereby decree that if Team Jackalope is at that race, you can use our wrenches and popup tents.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MojoJojo
You all did the "short loop" the last year. 2000 and 2001 were fifteen miles. I believe the Enchanted Forest and Lower Beaver sections were cut out and the "new loop" was approx. 7.5mi. I missed out last year:( ,no team and overworked. Hopefully this year. Me and another of my psycotic riding partners are trying to put together a 5 person single speed team.
Nope, I'm talking about an entirely different race - Idyllwild.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Damn you all - now I want to come out for it. I think I already have a race that weekend though. :(

You will have so much fun!!!!!!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I'd like to keep the teams to four or five, but if we find that a lot of our friends want to race, we could do two teams. I like the way Team A looks: Splat, Douglas, IAB, MMcG, Jollytime. :)
I like this lineup too! But the big question is will Splat have time to take photos! ;) :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Echo
That definitely sounds like a great team! I'll start bugging the Jackalopes tonite, Tweek and Crashby might be down for some pain, and Mtbkngrl and Gee Spot are suckers for endurance racing :devil:
It would be cool as hell if the Jackelopes could participate!

If you do come, Bring some Zweigles hots! :D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MMcG
I like this lineup too! But the big question is will Splat have time to take photos! ;) :D
Plus - for the money you pay, you'll want to do more than 2 laps I'm sure. On the corporate teams you don't get to ride as much but there IS more time to hang out and drink beer!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Heidi
On the corporate teams you don't get to ride as much but there IS more time to hang out and drink beer!
While that sounds like fun, I want to put some laps in. :)

Mark, Splat will take lots of pics when he is not riding, I'm sure. I know I will. :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by MMcG
there some good/easy to get to places to take pics......the start/finish area is basically a 1/4 mile flat dirt road, then theres a short section of singletrack thats is riight next to that road, and the over/under is also close and a very cool spot to watch/take pics

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
While that sounds like fun, I want to put some laps in. :)

Yep - that's exactly how I felt after I did my first 24 on a corporate race. I did a lap at like 5 at night, and then 7 the next morning.:(

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by splat
Definatly , I want to get some laps.

Is there anywhere that has the result from last year ? so We can see how many laps the Average team got in ?
Normally, yes, but the 24 Hours of Adrenalin website is down for construction...or reconstruction.

splat

Nam I am
I talked to My friend about being our wrench. he liked the sound of it , he is a good wrench. He could not commit , he will have to wait a little to commit ( he has aging parents )

Also I just looked up Sunrise and sunset ( for Boston) for that weekend ( the lat and longs are close enough)

Date , Sunrise , sunset , time at exactt south , and intesity measure.
June 26, 2004 5:09 AM 8:25 PM 12:47 PM 152.1
June 27, 2004 5:10 AM 8:25 PM 12:47 PM 152.1
So we will Need about 9 hours of Lighting power.

I have one ( and will make 1 or 2 more 5 watt Emergency lights ) so we will all have a back up light if one fails on the trail.

and Echo

Just for fun I looked up Tuscon in Mid February

February 14, 2004 7:08 AM 6:08 PM 12:38 PM 147.7
February 15, 2004 7:07 AM 6:09 PM 12:38 PM 147.8
you guys are going to be doing more dark riding than light riding !

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yep - that's exactly how I felt after I did my first 24 on a corporate race. I did a lap at like 5 at night, and then 7 the next morning.:(
That bites. Don't you think these guys need to step up and register solo... all this team cook, team mechanic and rest between laps talk seems a bit chi chi to me. Is this an endurance race or pleasure cruise???

:D :D :D

I'm rooting for WESTY!!! :p :p :p

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I talked to My friend about being our wrench. he liked the sound of it , he is a good wrench. He could not commit , he will have to wait a little to commit ( he has aging parents )
Well, obviously we're going to do the race with or without him as our wrench, but if he could make it, that would be FANTASTIC! Needless to say, taking care of his folks needs to be his first priority.

Guess I need to start thinking about lights. I want to buy some for my own anyway so I could start doing some night riding.

BTW, there may be a ridemonkey women's team now. :) MBC and jollytime's wife are very interested.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by Serial Midget
That bites. Don't you think these guys need to step up and register solo... all this team cook, team mechanic and rest between laps talk seems a bit chi chi to me. Is this an endurance race or pleasure cruise???

:D :D :D

I'm rooting for WESTY!!! :p :p :p

Hmm, then I probably shouldn't mention that this really hot/cute chick I know, might be there as the team fluffer!

Ha Ha !

splat

Nam I am
BTW, there may be a ridemonkey women's team now. :) MBC and jollytime's wife are very interested.
Hmmmmmmmmm

My wife is planning on Coming to help be support , But Maybe she needs to do a few laps :devil:

Originally posted by douglas
.... this really hot/cute chick I know, might be there as the team fluffer!
Cool! :cool:

This could cause SM to fly east just to do this race.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hmmmmmmmmm

My wife is planning on Coming to help be support , But Maybe she needs to do a few laps :devil:

Women's teams are five riders. If your wife decided to race, we'd still need to find two more women. That could be hard.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride

Also I just looked up Sunrise and sunset ( for Boston) for that weekend ( the lat and longs are close enough)

Date , Sunrise , sunset , time at exactt south , and intesity measure.

So we will Need about 9 hours of Lighting power.

I have one ( and will make 1 or 2 more 5 watt Emergency lights ) so we will all have a back up light if one fails on the trail.

pittsfeld, MA (5 min's away)
day sunrise set Avg H. Low Mean
25 5:17 AM 8:35 PM 79°F 54°F 67°F
26 5:18 AM 8:35 PM 79°F 54°F 67°F

And If somebody sees a good sale on lights let me know!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by douglas
Hmm, then I probably shouldn't mention that this really hot/cute chick I know, might be there as the team fluffer!
I don't know... a team fluffer... :think: I guess you could add Listerine to the team sponsorship roster. ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Lights: I have not done a relay style race at night but... I was in an adventure race that was a dusk to dawn deal, we only biked for about 3 hours (we think) but had to have lights for the entire course. Moving as a team only the lead would have their light going, we were paranoid that we would run out of juice but we didn't. Once you are used to the dark it really doesn't take that much additional light. If you are lucky you'll have moonlight.

MARWI Rapid chargers take about 6 hours from flat to get back up to steam. The NiMH batteries really are worth the extra money, recharging from a partial discharge can be as little as 90 minutes for one hour of use.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Thanks man, I will need all the help I can get.
The best advice I have ever gotten for an endurance event - start slow and back off. Attrician is your friend. :) A strong mind can override a weak and tired body but you must have a reasonable (but still challenging) goal. Mentally it's easy to quit when you realize your expectations were too high.

If I were to do a 24 hour solo my goal would be to ride 45 to 50 minutes of every hour at 65% of max, I would walk any hill that pushed my HR over my set max. I'd also have my own fluffer; I'm not the sharing type. :eek:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The best advice I have ever gotten for an endurance event - start slow and back off. Attrician is your friend. :) A strong mind can override a weak and tired body but you must have a reasonable (but still challenging) goal. Mentally it's easy to quit when you realize your expectations were too high.

If I were to do a 24 hour solo my goal would be to ride 45 to 50 minutes of every hour at 65% of max, I would walk any hill that pushed my HR over my set max. I'd also have my own fluffer; I'm not the sharing type. :eek:

The longest event I did was the Shenandoah 100, 14,000 ft of ups/downs in 10 hours. I pushed myself harder than I planned, I probably could have pushed even harder. I trained hard for it, turned out to be tougher mentally than physically. The only thing I am worried about is the weather, staying motivated, saddle sores, and digesting enough calories.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The longest event I did was the Shenandoah 100, 14,000 ft of ups/downs in 10 hours.
Was this for one loop or the entire 100 miles? 10 MPH seems pretty fast for single track, I'll have to check out the website. The most gruesome trail I have done on foot had 6,400 feet of climb in the 31 mile course. It took me 7.5 hours and I was beat. Dead.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Exactly. I would probably also trot the Lemans start. It is easier to say, "go slow" than it is to actually go slow though.:p Must be a personality type thing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was this for one loop or the entire 100 miles? 10 MPH seems pretty fast for single track, I'll have to check out the website. The most gruesome trail I have done on foot had 6,400 feet of climb in the 31 mile course. It took me 7.5 hours and I was beat. Dead.
Single loop but a few miles were covered twice. The majority of the riding was dirt but there were some longer road sections. Most of the climbing was done on trails/rough fireroads with the exception of one 4,000ft or so dirt road climb. Downhill was mostly singletrack:). I really could not imagine a better planned/ran event. There were 6 aid stations ran by the promoters. At the aid stations you would have volunteers lubing your chain, fixing your bike, filling your bottles. They had all the food and fluids you would want. You just had to worry about riding. I definately plan on doing it again.

Shen 100

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Exactly. I would probably also trot the Lemans start. It is easier to say, "go slow" than it is to actually go slow though.:p Must be a personality type thing.
If you were doing a solo at the same time as a team event it would be incredibly hard to hold yourself back on the first few laps, getting passed all the time does something to you and you end up in someone else's race. The team riders would just fly by and make me feel so slow. :p

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I can add the following ghostrider patented top secret advice:

If you are racing on a team, convince your teammates it is best that you are the last one in the rotation. Say something about how you have better lights or more night riding experience, in case your first lap is after dark. Then, on Sunday, the chances are good you will do one less lap than everybody else. Works every time.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
HA! :D

Well, the 24 Hours of Adrenaline series disassociated themselves from NORBA, so I can't imagine we'll need a pass anyway.
No, but you still have to pay $5 for insurance when you register. That's $5 each.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by ghostrider
I can add the following ghostrider patented top secret advice:

If you are racing on a team, convince your teammates it is best that you are the last one in the rotation. Say something about how you have better lights or more night riding experience, in case your first lap is after dark. Then, on Sunday, the chances are good you will do one less lap than everybody else. Works every time.
I thought I already called last. Either way, you don't want me going first... I couldn't beat Barney the Dinosaur in a footrace.