Quantcast

Advice for n00bs

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by splat
I'm Not scared either. But I'll Let you go First and I'll take 2nd !

cool with me
(I figure If I raced a couple 5k's I can run up the road to get my bike :p )

so do we have a captain?

official team name?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Not sure about captain ( are we suppose to have one ? )

How about team Ridemonkey! :) Would RM have any issues with that ?
If that's the name we want to go with, RM wouldn't care.

I don't know if we're supposed to name a captain, but I imagine we are. I would think the race organizers need a rep for each team.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
If that's the name we want to go with, RM wouldn't care.

I don't know if we're supposed to name a captain, but I imagine we are. I would think the race organizers need a rep for each team.

Team Ridemonkey ?

or

Team nOObs ?

or

Team The King and his court? (suggested by MMcG)

or

Team 5 monkeys here for some fun?

I think a captain might be a good idea, that way if a decision needs to be made there is someone with the final say.

ps: but I am totally flexible about everything!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Not sure about the team name. If anyone has a preference, speak up! :) "Team Ridemonkey" works for me, but it is boring. :D

As far as the captain goes, this race was his idea..... :p

EDIT: OOPS.....I meant it was Splat's idea.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not sure about the team name. If anyone has a preference, speak up! :) "Team Ridemonkey" works for me, but it is boring. :D

Some good team name recomendations.

Team Blumpkin
Chronic
Donkey Punch
Asshats:p

Edit: one more, Team one star :stosh:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

EDIT: OOPS.....I meant it was Splat's idea.
I vote Splat for Captain!

I'll keep thinking about names.

Team Splatter?

I suck at this kind of stuff.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think I'll put some in my CamelBak for this race. :D :D
Oh No you won't!

I think we should all get Charlestown Chiefs Jerseys and ride wearin them!

But which three of us five will be the Hanson brothers?

My vote goes for JT, Splat and Doug! :D

IAB you look sorta like Ned Braden with your height, and I could get a grey whig and be Joe McGrath - that sorta fits anyway right, but then I'd have to ride in a suit :eek:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by MMcG
Oh No you won't!

I think we should all get Charlestown Chiefs Jerseys and ride wearin them!

But which three of us five will be the Hanson brothers?

My vote goes for JT, Splat and Doug! :D

IAB you look sorta like Ned Braden with your height, and I could get a grey whig and be Joe McGrath - that sorta fits anyway right, but then I'd have to ride in a suit :eek:

http://www.thesportingstore.com/Slapshot.asp

I barely remember watching the movie, hmm I'll have to rent it sometime soon

and I agree to NO Jack in the camelback ! :D

but wait, Team Jack in the camelback sounds cool

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Lights: I have not done a relay style race at night but... I was in an adventure race that was a dusk to dawn deal, we only biked for about 3 hours (we think) but had to have lights for the entire course. Moving as a team only the lead would have their light going, we were paranoid that we would run out of juice but we didn't. Once you are used to the dark it really doesn't take that much additional light. If you are lucky you'll have moonlight.

MARWI Rapid chargers take about 6 hours from flat to get back up to steam. The NiMH batteries really are worth the extra money, recharging from a partial discharge can be as little as 90 minutes for one hour of use.
you only need lights for night and unless you are going out at the time the are required i would store them until you HAVE to put them on.
also theres no way really to ride at night without them. If they do run out try to grab the wheel of somebody with lights and just stay up. Some are ultra cool and might slow up a little to let you get back in. Dont expect that though.

Hid's have 4 1/2 hour rapid charges.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Serial Midget
The best advice I have ever gotten for an endurance event - start slow and back off. Attrician is your friend. :) A strong mind can override a weak and tired body but you must have a reasonable (but still challenging) goal. Mentally it's easy to quit when you realize your expectations were too high.

If I were to do a 24 hour solo my goal would be to ride 45 to 50 minutes of every hour at 65% of max, I would walk any hill that pushed my HR over my set max. I'd also have my own fluffer; I'm not the sharing type. :eek:
pretty solid adivce for a beginning solo racer.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Women's teams are five riders. If your wife decided to race, we'd still need to find two more women. That could be hard.
4 Person Team:

Four people (any combination of men & women) of any skill level can enter. Each rider will complete approximately 6 hours of riding.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Did any of you guys register at the Adrenaline website, just for a password (not for the race)? I *tried* to register a couple weeks ago, but they have yet to send me my verification e-mail, and I have requested it several times.

They are offering a discount for early registration, but how the heck can you register when they won't let you onto the website?

:confused:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I just tried to register at the website again , this time I got an email in less than a minute
Hmmmm....

I tried it again and got an "error" saying my e-mail address was already being used (by ME, obviously). It's my RM addy, so maybe "ridemonkey" is a banned word there. :D I'll try again with a different addy....