Quantcast

Advice for setting up a charity and benefit ride....

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
Long story short, my brother in law passed away last night after a collision with a car on his weekly sunday sunrise road ride. It was a freak accident that happened last week.

He was the bread winner, was a month short of his 2 year anniversary, and just last week told me he was going to be a new father. Still in shock, trying to figure out everything that needs to be taken care of for my wife's sister and her 10 year old son, as well as doing everything possible to keep her healthy through the grief process for the bun in the oven.

Being in the cycling industry, i feel there is more than a little i can do. After the dust settles, I am going to organize a benefit ride and raffle in San Diego county.
Does anyone here have any clue on how to organize a charity fund that people can donate to?
What legalities need to be covered for a raffle with all proceeds going to said charity fund?
is this the kind of thing we can just setup at the local Chase/Wells Fargo et al?

Thanks in advance for all the help monkies

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
First off very sorry for your loss.
I doubt any legalities need to be covered with such a grassroots endeavor (assuming that's the route you're taking).
I'd create an account on roadbikereview as well. Post it up on local forums, etc... and ask for donations for the charity fund with a paypal account you've created.
As far as a raffel goes, I'm sure they're plenty of industry guys on here that can donate parts. You can probably hit up some companies too and try your luck with them. As far as setting up the raffle goes, just get some tickets, ask x-amount of "donation $" per ticket and raffle the stuff off at the end of whatever group ride you organize and post it around the forums as far in advance as possible. Hit up local bike shops, organizations like SDMBA and SDMBA PRO, etc... and count me in. I'll try and scrounge up some new bike parts I may have that I don't need and donate them.
Hang in there.