Quantcast

advice for when i call TIME warranty

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
i bought some time Z pedals a week ago. i crashed yesterday at a race, and my bike fell on a rock directly on the pedal, now the spindle is really bent. im pretty pissed. so im just asking for some advice on what i can complain to TIME about b/c i dont want to fork over another 20 bucks for a spindle and the labor to put it in. the shop i bought it from called and said TIME won't replace it because it's not a failure on their product and that even shaums march hasn't bent a spindle that easily. whatever thats supposed to mean

i dont think it shoulda bent that easily, it wasnt that bad of a fall, im not even hurt. my shimano dx pedals lasted 10 years without any failures until recently.
thanks

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Sounds like you'll have to buy a spindle. Just tell them the truth and see what they say. You might get someone nice. You never know.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Not alot...it's not a warrenty....you might get someone nice who will comp ya a spindle to keep ya happy. I'd call...be nice and see what they say.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Unfortunately sometimes you can hit things "just right" even though the crash didn't seem that bad. I've broken my fair share of stuff in the slower speed crashes. You might get lucky and get a sympathetic ear, but I wouldn't blame the failure on the product just yet. Good luck!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Honestly, you're kind of lucky. I've ruined a few crank arms by hitting my pedal on a rock. A spindle is a lot cheaper than a new crank arm...

Whatever you do, don't tell them you were "just riding along." BTW, I never knew that March rode Time pedals, as far as I knew, he always ran flats. Maybe he doesn't break them, because he doesn't actually use them...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I had a very very mild crash in the yardsale at mount snow and bent my time z pedal. Probably the easiest fall i've ever had, resulting with the same problem as yours. I accepted the fact that it was RIDER ERROR, and ponied up the 20$. Your lucky its not 120$ for a new set of crankarms like the guy above said. I wouldnt get my hopes up on a warranty, you crashed, you broke a bike part, it happens. I cant figure out why everyone thinks their intitled to new parts. Last month a stick ripped apart my 210$ X0 derailer. I sucked it up, bent over, and payed for a new one. I come to expect these unfortunate circumstances with our sport.

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
yea if its your own fault that you crash they never replace it.
i flipped my bike and my bike landed right on my shimano derailleur and it was $130 to replace.

J

JRB

clandestine said:
yea if its your own fault that you crash they never replace it.
i flipped my bike and my bike landed right on my shimano derailleur and it was $130 to replace.
Shimano will actually replace a lot with XTR stuff, in particular.

*warranty - is not the mfg's fault.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeremy R said:
In that case, I can proudly say that I have never broken an Ellsworth frame.
Dude that's nothing. I've been riding mountain bikes for over 10 years and I have never, not even once, bottomed out a klein mantis. I have an uncontrollable fit where I start kicking the owner and pissing on his face while I scream "why!!?? why!!???" every time I see one but I've never in my life bottomed one out.

Those things rule.

Time z spindles don't. I've bottomed out those things too much for my happy.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Banshee Rider said:
I had a very very mild crash in the yardsale at mount snow and bent my time z pedal. Probably the easiest fall i've ever had, resulting with the same problem as yours. I accepted the fact that it was RIDER ERROR, and ponied up the 20$. Your lucky its not 120$ for a new set of crankarms like the guy above said. I wouldnt get my hopes up on a warranty, you crashed, you broke a bike part, it happens. I cant figure out why everyone thinks their intitled to new parts. Last month a stick ripped apart my 210$ X0 derailer. I sucked it up, bent over, and payed for a new one. I come to expect these unfortunate circumstances with our sport.
Sram hooked me up when I broke an X0...

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
i actually read somewhere that shuams started racing in clipless.

and i guess ill be nice and try to get a nice person who pities me since im in college and have no money.

Jeremy R said:
In that case, I can proudly say that I have never broken an Ellsworth frame.
i broke one of those too and got a new one

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
Transcend said:
not trying to be a dick here, but you broke it in a race....why should they replace it for free?
because they feel bad that its only a week old, it wasnt that bad of a fall, its an expensive part, and im poor :confused:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ha well i can understand why you hope they would...I just seriously don't get why most bike racers think parts SHOULD be replaced.

If I get a WRX STI, rally it and break the suspension...even if the car is 1 week old and i didnt hit the pothole "that hard", do you think Subaru is going to warranty my suspension?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I think unless it was a defect or put together wrong from the factory that's really the only way they will fix it for free. If you used it and broke it, and it was put together right and everything was correct then it's your fault.

If they have good customer service then you might get hooked up, but otherwise unless they did something wrong it's your fault. Just tell them exactly what you were doing and see where it goes.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
A few points to consider:
1. It was rider error, not manufacturer error there
2. You'll do much better if you politely ask if they have any kind of crash-replacement program, since this is EXACTLY what those are meant to cater for
3. It's a $20 part... if you can afford a DH bike then you're probably not too poor to live with that (never mind the fact that you could already afford to buy expensive pedals in the first place). No offence but I wouldn't even bother.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
marlopez said:
because they feel bad that its only a week old, it wasnt that bad of a fall, its an expensive part, and im poor :confused:
if you don't have any luck with Time (not that you should), PM me, I think I've still got the brand new spindles I swapped out for my Ti spindles laying around somewhere. You pay the shipping and they are yours.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
marlopez said:
and the labor to put it in.
They are simple to replace. Remove the endcap with a hex wrench. There is a bolt(10mm?) underneath. Take the bolt off, and the spindle slides right out. Put new spindle in, tighten bolt and replace endcap. Done.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
Mike B. said:
if you don't have any luck with Time (not that you should), PM me, I think I've still got the brand new spindles I swapped out for my Ti spindles laying around somewhere. You pay the shipping and they are yours.
i did have luck with them, thanks for your offer though

kidwoo said:
marlopez: Let us know what happens. I've never tried to get a warranty replacement for them but those things do bend way too easily in my opinion. I'm curious about what they say.

So hurry up and call them yo. :thumb:
im getting the spindle replaced for free. i just had to pay for shipping to send the pedal to them. he was pretty nice about it but he made sure to say that they don't normally replace them under warranty. i didn't mention that you bent 3 in a year or anything.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Tell the warranty person "you were JDA and when your pedal spindle bent for no reason".

When he asks what JDA is tell him it's and Acronym for "Just Downhilling Along"

They love that I swear!

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
kidwoo said:
Hmmm.

I just ordered some spindles from bti........maybe next time I'll try calling them for some of that special rare we never do this treatment.

Thanks.
if you have bought that many spindles w/o ever replacing the pedals maybe you should tell them to sponsor you b/c it seems youre pretty dedicated to them. and if they need another rider, tell them about me

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
marlopez said:
if you have bought that many spindles w/o ever replacing the pedals maybe you should tell them to sponsor you b/c it seems youre pretty dedicated to them. and if they need another rider, tell them about me
It's kind of wierd. I get so used to them being bent that I don't notice them but everytime someone gets on my bike they ask if the cranks are bent. I've got them on my dh bike and my 7 incher freeride bike, plus the xc versions on my little bike.

I love time pedals and have never had an issue with them other than this. They don't need to sponsor someone who already uses their stuff unfortunately.