Quantcast

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Anywhere to race a slalom/4X hardtail anywhere around here. I ask because cleaning my basement, i have enough parts (except the frame/derailleur) to build up a 4x hardtail. I know there are slalom tracks, but for a hardtail to be efficient they have to be pretty smooth and groomed. Im racin gravity east and the diablo series (and you certainly cant bring 1 there)

* i currently have a 34lb wildcard that i run with 5 inches front and rear, medium softness

Should i bother, it would be nice to have around town, but i cant picture a place i could use it(and have it be better than the banshee)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you could have fun all day on a hardtail at highland...dirt jumps, pump track, and DS course come to mind. Some of their other trails wouldn't be too bad either.

Otherwise DS is kind of a dying breed.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I was kinda thinking this was the answer, i already have a singlespeed DJ hardtail, but that has no derailleur hanger, and really isnt set up for racin, i was kinda hoping there was some dual courses along the gravity east races, unfortunately not.

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
The 4X course at Windham was a lot of fun on a DH bike! :D

But seriously, the Highland DS track was designed by Kyle Ebbett and it's a pretty technical track made for dirt jumpers. A snappy hardtail with short chainstays would be great on it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The 4X course at Windham was a lot of fun on a DH bike! :D

But seriously, the Highland DS track was designed by Kyle Ebbett and it's a pretty technical track made for dirt jumpers. A snappy hardtail with short chainstays would be great on it.
i do not doubt that, but its tough for me to justify a hardtail, to use on 1 track, maybe twice a year, even if i have most of it, thats still at least 500 to be used twice. Being new to GE i was not sure if they all made "temporary" tracks-apparently not :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i do not doubt that, but its tough for me to justify a hardtail, to use on 1 track, maybe twice a year, even if i have most of it, thats still at least 500 to be used twice. Being new to GE i was not sure if they all made "temporary" tracks-apparently not :(
and yet you have no problem justifying 2-3 dh bikes in your stable at any given time :busted:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
and yet you have no problem justifying 2-3 dh bikes in your stable at any given time :busted:
I ride DH 2-3 times a WEEK, i get use out of them, banshee got raced 6 times this year, and ridden another 2-3, decent return on investment. I can ride the hardtail 2-4 races at highland, and thats it-right?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ride DH 2-3 times a WEEK, i get use out of them, banshee got raced 6 times this year, and ridden another 2-3, decent return on investment. I can ride the hardtail 2-4 races at highland, and thats it-right?
soooo just because you can't race it frequently means it wouldn't be ridden frequently? :confused: I have a slalom bike that rarely gets raced, but still gets a ton of usage. I ride dh average 2 times a week also, but I don't need a bike for every day. Probably gonna ride even more often next summer since my new job is about 40 minutes from Derpablo and I'll be able to grab a few runs after work. still won't need more dh bikes.

bear in mind you could build at least 2 fully decked out hardtails for what a moderately spec'd dh bike costs. hell, you could build a fully decked top of the line 20" for way less than the average dh frame costs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, agree on 4x vs. DS.

The DS course at highland is super tech. I rode it on my DH bike and it was painful, you really will benefit from a super short WB. Also, they have a tendency to build amazing things then forget about them, so who knows if it'll be there next year. See the dirt halfpipe and "pro line". Both of those got used for _A_ photo shoot.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Build your own track. All you need is a rake and some sticks for gates.
Burn it in with some friends and within a week you will have a pretty sick DS track.

Schneidie

Chimp
Apr 24, 2010
New England
I have a STP that's set up for slalom racing. I use it to ride around campus, and even take it out on some jump trails in CT. I ride that bike almost every day, and for the $400 that I've spent on it, I'd say it's well worth the cost.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
banshee got raced 6 times this year, and ridden another 2-3, decent return on investment.
I could care less and have nothing to add but, I did find this funny.

$5000(average cost of full DH bike) divided by 9= $555.55
+ $20 (generalized lift cost)
= $575.55/day/bike
X 3 (number of DH bikes)
=$1726.65/day
excellent return indeed:think:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Since owning the banshee

US open win
5 Slalom podiums
1 Slalom overall title

Racing at diablo that = major schwag

Tie that into the fact that diablo does a combined overall and id consider it worth it.

My jedi itself has won me 2 completes. I am not saying this is my job, nor am i saying i make money, but its easier for me to justify a bike that ill "need" to win a race, than a bike i have for ****s and giggles. If i wasnt racing slalom or 4x on the hardtail it would be redundant for me to own. I have a fully built DJ bike, thats IMO better than the 4x hardtail i could/would build up. and a banshee that ill "suffer" 2 times a year on.

The wildcard has earned itself 2 titles in its first season, had i not bought it, i wouldnt have won alot of the events i participated in this year.

Each time i podium on a bike (in my mind) the price i payed just goes down. 5000 for bike XXX minus all the (stuff) i COULD win brings the price down as i use it.

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
Each time i podium on a bike (in my mind) the price i payed just goes down. 5000 for bike XXX minus all the (stuff) i COULD win brings the price down as i use it.
You should write a paper on net present value analysis applied to bike racing. Don't forget to account for the depreciation of your assets.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
If you want to race your 4x/slalom bikes there are a couple of events coming up in NJ.Going to be running a 26" open class at the Egg Harbor BMX Annual Veteran's Day Race Nov.06. - 16 and over 100% payback plus $100 towards the purse from BTX Air Express and prizes from Nema. Entry $20 and if you don't have an NBL license free one day license will be available. Planning to also do the same thing at the Iron Man Classic at Howell Dec. 05
Next year there will be a DS race again at Belle Mountain tentative date April 30 and if there is enough interest we could run more races for 26" next year and even consider to make it a part of the state/local tracks series.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hardtails are fun, especially the dirt jumpy/slalom/urban kind. Build it and see if you ride it, regardless of whether you race. If it ends up sitting, it will be easier for you to sell a complete bike than a pile of parts.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You should write a paper on net present value analysis applied to bike racing. Don't forget to account for the depreciation of your assets.
not sure if you being a d!ck or not, i am aware that it decreases, but i can loose 30% on a bike that wins nothing (although i see that there are some bmx races-thanks olddog)or loose 30% on something i can race every month and hopefully win stuff, aside from the fun of racing. There is just something about racing compared to pinned a local trail that isnt a race.

& for whoever thinks im sandbagging, winning the us open DH by .01 (and 6 seconds slower than the jrs) and the open DS by .3 (2 off juniors) isnt sandbagging, and since i know you will move on to the diablo series, i didnt win, so you may have a problem with that statistic. (although i did win diablo juniors last year)

Additionally, i have only won a SINGLE DH race, and never won a diablo dh round, you can check this at ridediablo.com "justin brigandi"

usually top 3 in juniors, didnt do as well in seniors this year, only 3rd overall for DH. my only dh win was the us open, and for indycross, im 1 of the only guys that rides dj primarily so that has always been natural for me. And for those who think go to pro, im yet to be any better than 2nd to last in pro. This is only at diablo, so im sure the pros ride harder at GE races

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If you dont run it on a slalom/4x course is there any other benefit to having 1 of these, id fine it hard to believe that id want to dirt jump it over a singlespeed 1 brake DJ bike. opinions? Never owned 1, never rode 1. Hesitant to dump money into this frame as opposed to putting the parts on a similar spec'd fully frame (or other)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
My personal opinion the bank sucks. Owned one hated it. Found the Commencal Absolut 4x lighter, snappier and straight up faster. Also the Yeti is really nice or a vertical dropout BlkMkrt MOB like the one I am selling.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The new P3 has nice geo. I know you want a HT but the new 2011 Intense Tazer VP is awesome. I am really digging mine. The Tazer HT is pretty hot also. If I was going back to a HT that is what I would get. If interested pm me.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
tough situation, i like the idea of making a slalom bike, but unsure of how/when i would use it. I have a superco charger 26" with a real nice parts setup, only weighs 26 lbs, which is use for park and DJ.

The parts kit i have is the typical 10-135 and 68/73 cranks, so i could theoretically make a "mini dh" bike, but i am not sure of what to do. A mini DH would be better to have if there was a "baby" course (thinkin sx trail kind of bike) I sold 3 of my DH frames, so (tad off topic) ill be gettin the 2011 demo and another frame, and selling all the dh parts from the 4th bike, but, that gives me the options to keep those parts for this project should i need them. Mini DH a better idea? i always thought the entire concept was kinda stupid, but that being said, i hated on the small bikes until i owned 1.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I had an 07 SXT that I could shred anything ay Diablo with. Now I sold my Glory and am rocking an 09 Giant Reign X and it handles everything up there also. It makes you a smoother rider because you pick better lines. I was going to sell my Reign X when the M9 comes in but I will probably keep it as a back up or when I don't feel like riding a full DH sled.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
tough situation, i like the idea of making a slalom bike, but unsure of how/when i would use it. I have a superco charger 26" with a real nice parts setup, only weighs 26 lbs, which is use for park and DJ.

The parts kit i have is the typical 10-135 and 68/73 cranks, so i could theoretically make a "mini dh" bike, but i am not sure of what to do. A mini DH would be better to have if there was a "baby" course (thinkin sx trail kind of bike) I sold 3 of my DH frames, so (tad off topic) ill be gettin the 2011 demo and another frame, and selling all the dh parts from the 4th bike, but, that gives me the options to keep those parts for this project should i need them. Mini DH a better idea? i always thought the entire concept was kinda stupid, but that being said, i hated on the small bikes until i owned 1.
If you're looking for mini-dh bike, take a look at the '11 Scott Voltage FRs(slightly tweaked geo, lower bb height, better pivot placement for dh vs the '10s).. you can get a complete for cheaper than most framesets(just sell all the parts you don't like), and there's a bunch of ways you can run it(135-180mm, all sorts of different HA/bb heights depending on the shock mount, and -10mm, +10mm dropouts). For me it's the perfect bike in between my XC and the shocker. The girls on the Scott11 WC team run the voltage instead of the gambler, and had pretty good results last season(point is it can handle WC dh courses fine, not saying it's the reason they did good).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Eastern sells a pump track/DJ bike complete for $300. Sell all those random bits and get it. It could be a friggin paperweight on it's off days and it wouldn't hurt your wallet, oh bottomless pocket punk. :thumb: And it would have zero maintainence.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am honestly not sure on what i am looking at currently, the help is appreciated. Its definitely between a mini DH and a bank (this would be way cheaper)

Im lookin at

hardtail
transition bank
p3?

4 or less
red sx 1000 (really nice shape)
killswitch (1500 new)

mini DH
SX trail-what year?
scott

from what i can see they will all be just as "useless" but i figure i can have fun, i want the killswitch the most, and the bank would be the cheapest option(and i could ride it around town). Are mini DH bikes raceable? just because you CAN doesnt mean you SHOULD. Its worth noting that aside from the mini, there will be a jedi (pretty small/light) and a demo 8 (light) so i am not sure if that encroaches on the minis?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
My MOB would be the cheapest option.
mini dh SXT 07 08 where the better years
The Giant Reign X is a great bike, I like it better then I liked my SXT.
The Killswitch is nice I almost bought one after I sold my Double. Then i got a great deal on my 2011 Tazer and i have a Dobermann Le Pink already so I ruled out the KS.
Keep in mind the SX is longer then the KS wheel base wise. The KS is great for park, DJ, and street. The SX is more of a ds 4x race bike.