Quantcast

Advice needed for 24H solo

ScOoTeR

Chimp
May 6, 2002
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I plan on soloing Snowshoe this year and wonder kind of food has worked for people in the past. I've done the race on a 4 man team for the past two years and have a pretty good idea that eating during my solo effort will be much different.

Any advice is appreciated!

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by ScOoTeR
I plan on soloing Snowshoe this year and wonder kind of food has worked for people in the past. I've done the race on a 4 man team for the past two years and have a pretty good idea that eating during my solo effort will be much different.

Any advice is appreciated!
Hey Scooter,

I did Snowshoe solo last year, and would say that pretty much whatever food worked for you on the 4-man team would be good. Do plan on eating solid foods along with the liquid stuff, though. As you know, that course is long and gruelling, and you're gonna need something substantial, especially during those long night hours. Don't forget to take in enough salt along with your water, too. I found that I actually craved salty stuff like pretzels and chips. Also turkey sandwiches were great. Oatmeal pie cookies, light soups like chicken noodle, bagels, and cereal are all good. One of the best things I've tried has been hot Metabol (tastes just like hot cocoa, only provides essential racing nutrients). Don't underestimate the importance of eating correctly prior to the race, too. That pasta thing only works if you eat that stuff at least 48 hours beforehand, as it takes your body that long to process it, and you don't want to be processing food like that when your muscles are screaming for it NOW!!! I've found that a good protein-rich meal the night before is just the ticket. The main thing is to experiment now, NOT during the race, to find out what foods you can eat while you're riding. I personally like to drink milk and eat milk-based foods like Boost meal replacements during these races, but unless you're a regular milk drinker (which I am), that might make you sick if you drink it while you're exercising.

If I can answer any other questions for you, or help you in any way, please feel free to e-mail me, and I'd be glad to try and help. Best of luck to you!