Quantcast

Advice on a new FR bike

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Ok soo I've got about $3000 - $3500 (canadian) to spend on a new ride for next year. Soo far my top pic is the 06 Bighit III. Currently I ride a 03 Bighit soo I allready know Im going to feel at home on the new bighit. Any other bikes I shold take a look at befor i drop the cash?

Note: im about 5' 10" 205lbs. mostly ride northshore style trails, thou im known to do a bit of DH and dirt jump and XC on my big bike from time to time.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A medium Big Hit. If you like your bike the 06 should be even better with the 26" rear wheel.

Or get a Knolly Vtach and transfer all your parts to it.

Whats wrong with your current Big Hit? Maybe you could throw a Avy shock on it and a new front fork and call it good. The Avy shock made my wifes 05 Big Hit so much better.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
its just getting old, want to get sell it while it still has some live left in it. I accually did look at Knolly, looks like a great ride. any one know the msrp on the vtach?

JMP

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
Near Olympia, WA
Check out Transition Bike Co. They are out of Bellingham, WA and are a rider owned company. They make a super sick large travel bike (Dirtbag), and a shorter travel bike (Preston FR). The bikes are priced right too. Kevin and Kyle, the owners, are super cool. Otherwise Kona, Norco, and Cove. Keep it local.

patmiass123

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Lee, Mass
i personally like the Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki i got and it seems like the Yakuza Kumicho would be even better and the Kumicho would be something close to 2400CAD give or take. or the Iron Horse 7point5 is again close to 3000CAD give or take. The Norco A-Line is like 3200CAD if thats some thing your interested in. thats just a few that i know. hope it helped.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
how about a 06 aline, right in you price range and you can pedal them up the hill if you need to. ive abused the hell outta mine no real problems yet. or if you want something little more "freeride" then downhill look the shore line up, 3 different compnenet specs. or you could look at rocky mountain.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I second the transistion dirtbag. I used to ride my old 04 Kona Coiler to death. and then finally upgraded to the dirtbag.

I used to keep the rear pretty stiff for dirtjumping on the coiler. With the transistion, I've kept it set up for pretty fast DHing (i've got the danger boy rockers) and I've found it to be amazing. For what it is, it pedals well. It also tracks all of the DH stuff I've been doing pretty well. It's not the lightest thing ever, but it jumps and hucks really well too. In my opinion, the large frame is pretty flickable for it's size and uses.

I wuggles mine to death.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
are rocky mountains cheaper in canada? 'cause the 06 switchs look pretty sweet. but i think the transistions have the best pricepoint on their bikes than another bike company. and their warrannty is probably one of the best. :thumb:

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
well I can get a 06 Bighit III for 2700CDN. not bad concidering the retail is 2800US. I would have to check with my lbs on my price for a switch. But are they really designed to be hucked hard all the time?

Im taking 15' drops ,25' gaps and other gnarrrly stuff.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
after some though I think i will stick with my plans and get the bighit. thou I may just grab the frame and fransfer parts over. pick up a few choice upgrades along the way.

probple build it like this *= parts i got ready to go.

06 BigHit III
888VF2
* Mag30 rear
Mag30 front
* Diablos headset,
Diablos cranks.
Titec El-Norte Bar
* SDG FRD sadle, Titec Scooper I-Beam post
*use my HFX-9's for now
* Axiem Road gap pedals
* 8sp LX drive train.
* ODI lock on grips
Kenda Nevgal front tire 2.7 rear *GazzaJr 2.6 rear
* Black spire dulley guide

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
PepperJester said:
probple build it like this *= parts i got ready to go.

06 BigHit III
888VF2
* Mag30 rear
Mag30 front
* Diablos headset,
Diablos cranks.
Titec El-Norte Bar
* SDG FRD sadle, Titec Scooper I-Beam post
*use my HFX-9's for now
* Axiem Road gap pedals
* 8sp LX drive train.
* ODI lock on grips
Kenda Nevgal front tire 2.7 rear *GazzaJr 2.6 rear
* Black spire dulley guide
Seems like a good build for your new Bighit for now. Maybe upgrade from the Hayes brakes at some point, but the other components are pretty solid.