Quantcast

Advice on a race bike

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'm looking to get a BMX race bike (my first) for around $300. I'm a hair under 5'10", but with fairly long arms, so I'm thinking an XL or a longer pro would work well. Right now I'm looking at a GT Power Series Pro for $280 and an FMF Race Pro for $315. I've found a few others in my price range, but as far as I know these two are the lightest. The FMF has a half-inch longer TT (20.5", vs. 20" on the GT). Any thoughts on those two, and any others I ought to check out?

jeremyb

Monkey
Dec 3, 2004
Christchurch, New Zealand
The GTs are a really nice bike, Pro XL sounds about right for you, but stick to the shorter TT side of that range, I ride a redline and love it, but they're all pretty much of a muchness :)

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I came across the Intense bikes the other day, and they look sweet, but the $400 price tag on the XL is just too much of a stretch. Also, I should add that if anyone happens to be selling a bike like I'm looking for, I'm interested!

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I came across the Intense bikes the other day, and they look sweet, but the $400 price tag on the XL is just too much of a stretch. Also, I should add that if anyone happens to be selling a bike like I'm looking for, I'm interested!
Check out www.jensonusa.com, they are selling Intense completes with a sweet build kit for around $350 and free shipping (last I checked).
I see that your from Woodinville; maybe I'll see you at McCollum Park or North SeaTac sometime. Good luck!

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Check out www.jensonusa.com, they are selling Intense completes with a sweet build kit for around $350 and free shipping (last I checked).
I see that your from Woodinville; maybe I'll see you at McCollum Park or North SeaTac sometime. Good luck!
I just took a look and it turns out that not only is the Intense out of stock, but the free shipping is no longer available, so it'd still be close to $400. I plan on hitting NST a ton as soon as I get a bike (and hopefully a bit before then on my hardtail), so I'm sure I'll see you there. I'm always looking for people to ride with, especially seeing as I know next to nothing about BMX, so let me know if you want to hit it up sometime. By the way, I took my hardtail up to McCollum Park the other day, but it was locked up--is it always locked other than during races and the "official" practice time?

I'm going to check with some local bike shops over the next couple days, but if I don't find anything that tickles my fancy, I'm going to go ahead and get either the GT, FMF, or an MCS Tracer. I'd like to get the GT since it's the cheapest, but I'm concerned that its top tube might be a little short (20" for the GT vs. 20.5" for the other two). Any thoughts on that? Like I said earlier, I'm a little under 5'10" but have rather long arms. Being a broke college student, I'm also tossing around the idea of saving some money, albeit at the cost of several pounds, and getting a Redline MX20. However, I'm worried I'd probably end up replacing it with something lighter after I start racing...

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
I would go to a bike shop by you and take a look at some bikes with a 21.5 tt. I am 5ft 7in and ride a 20.5. You could always try a small stem.

-Brian