Quantcast

Advice on building up XC rig

dirtyboy77

Chimp
Apr 8, 2010
NH
So I just a carbon XC frame from my boss, it was his old racing frame, its just been lying around so he had no use for it so now I have it. I am mainly a roadie, so I don't know a whole a ton about mtn biking, but I am familiar with all the brands, and I have working knowledge of all the parts. I have access to used components from the shop I work in. So I was planning on running all xtr, besides the crank. I'm not sure what I will do for that, probably used at first, and maybe upgrade in the next year, what size of chain rings would I want though? As for the fork I will most likely get a new rockshox reba since I can pick on up fairly cheap with my shop discount. I am trying to keep this a fairly cheap build though since I just dropped 2grand on a road bike. Any suggestion?

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Are you counting grams? If not combine XT and XTR components to save some money and off course take advantage of your employee discount.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
cant go wrong with XT cranks. Mine have had a solid 4 years of beating on them. Depending on what you intend to do with the bike, i liked using a double for xc racing 42 -29 with a 11-34, got me up pretty much everything.

If going with a triple the standard rings work well.