Quantcast

Advice on Chilean downhilling?

Jan 12, 2008
Does anyone here have experience riding down any of Chile's monstrous mountains? I'm interested in planning an advanced downhill adventure with a friend, and I need help gathering information and narrowing down my options. Rules: It has to be rocky, it has to be steep at times, and it has to be a legal trail.

This would be for December 2008. Although that is summer in Chile, I realize some of the highest peaks will still be covered in snow, and this is not an option for me. Dry suggestions only please :)

Thanks!!

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
just come to santiago and you'll be amazed by the amount of good trails you can find in the city's sorroundings. Most of our trails are steep and rocky, so that won't be a problem...

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks, sounds fun! But this particular trip needs to be well planned, well in advance, so I'll need names and general locations of specific trails if possible. (The reason has to do with an application for someone else to pay for my trip!) Thanks again!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
just come to santiago and you'll be amazed by the amount of good trails you can find in the city's sorroundings. Most of our trails are steep and rocky, so that won't be a problem...

i will be around Santiago from Feb. 13th - 22nd... so hopefully i get to experience some of these awesome trails you speak of

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
i will be around Santiago from Feb. 13th - 22nd... so hopefully i get to experience some of these awesome trails you speak of
since you are an active member on this board i assume you've seen pictures (or videos) of Valparaiso Cerro Abajo, a yearly urban downhill race we have down here...
This year's version will be held on february 17th... you should definitelly come and see it...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
since you are an active member on this board i assume you've seen pictures (or videos) of Valparaiso Cerro Abajo, a yearly urban downhill race we have down here...
This year's version will be held on february 17th... you should definitelly come and see it...
I guess he failed to mention that's the reason he is going. obviously to race though, not to spectate.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
then we'll meet there... i'm part of the staff.
nice.. looking forward to it

after seeing all the pics from that event last year, and the rave reviews from riders that attended, i am really excited to be able to take part

and af corse it will be great to get some riding in, since it is freezing cold and snowing where i live right now

as for fraser's bag.... he should know better than to expect one man to handle another mans bag :disgust1: no matter how large

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks, Vitox. I think what I need right now is just names of trails that you recommend as well as how I can find them. Since this trip is supposed to be a bit of an adventure, I'm seeking trails that are somewhat remote and less developed - and places that require some uphill hiking. It should also be highly technical at times. Thank you!

hi uni guy

i can probably help you out with info but i dont really understand exactly what you need, trail maps or similar?