Quantcast

Advice on flying/driving with pets (cats)?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
We'll be moving to Washington, DC temporarily (6 weeks min) and have to figure out what to do with our 2 cats. One's normal-sized (although long in the legs), the other's really big. Like 20 lbs big; like bigger-than-your-small-floormop of a dog-big. Insert pics of really big cats off the internet here. Actually, here's a pic of him if you've never seen it...
So we're talking big.

We'll probably be driving ourselves out there, but we do have the option to fly and have the car transported. We'd like, however, to have them out of the house before we clean, and before the landlord comes to inspect...we're not technically supposed to have any pets. So I was going to try to fly them to her parents' house in Rhode Island as part of a trip I was taking to the east coast anyhow.

But the airlines are, in many cases, limiting us to carrying them on instead of checking them as baggage, or making us send them air freight.

Has anyone:

1) taken a cat as a carryon? What kind of container did you use? Did it actually fit under the seats, and was the cat comfortable? How did you deal with food/water/litter needs? How did the cat handle it? Were they loud and annoying, or did it just sleep the whole time through?

2) checked a pet as luggage or as unaccompanied cargo? Again, how did you handle food/water/waste needs? How'd it go?

3) Driven long distances with a cat? Again, how'd you handle the food/water/litter deal? (I'm envisioning keeping them in their crates with litter, food, and water, with occasionally being let out, one at a time, under supervision from the non-driver.) Did you let them out of the car ever? Our cats aren't outdoor cats...but the big one can walk on a leash. The small one...never. How'd it work out? How'd the cats take to it.

Thanks for your advice!

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've driven several (ranging from 3 to 7) hours with a couple cats.

Generally, I take them and drive short distances (to the store, to get gas, etc) for a week before in order to acclimate them to the car. I drive with them loose in the car, simply because the caterwauling when they're in the cage is unbearable, and all three of the cats I've travelled with have been fine wandering loose.

Since they travel loose, I put the litter box and a food bowl out for them in the trunk, and they can go to the bathroom/eat as necessary. Bear in mind, this has always been in a station wagon or SUV, if you've got a sedan, that won't work nearly as well. If there are two people in the car, the other one can give water as necessary, otherwise I stop every hour or two for that.

Two of the cats were easy to travel with. The third one wasn't as much fun, he tended to cry a lot. The only big problem I ever had with cats was that one liked to crawl down by the driver's feet and get underneath the gas/brake pedals. I just had to swat him every time he got near my lap.

I would definitly take a harness for each cat, though, in case of motion sickness or intestinal problems, you don't want 'em doing that in your car. Getting them used to the car with short trips, though, is key in ensuring that they won't flip their lids when you take them on a long ride.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
It's cool that you're coming to DC.

I flew with 2 dogs (collies) from Germany to Cincinnati.
It was rough.
One dog is terrified of thunder and loud noises.
I didn't put them on any sedatives, because I have heard that the critters might come out of it and be more scared than if they just had the whole experience to get used to.

I froze water the night before... so that way it didn't slosh out of the little bitty bowl.
Food? I chucked some into a little dish.
I made sure that there were blankets and their favorite toys and a T-shirt that I wore for a bit (so it smelled like me).

Both critters are fine.
They were a little dazed after the flight.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Crazy Sweeper said:
you probably like your cat, but if I was flying with a cat I'd put him in the airplane toilet and flush him.
Since I can stop up an airline toilet with the remnants of a partially-digested airline meal, I don't see much chance of you stuffing my 20-lb Norwegian Forest Cat past the rim of the bowl. Plus, he'd eat you first...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MudGrrl said:
It's cool that you're coming to DC.

I flew with 2 dogs (collies) from Germany to Cincinnati.
It was rough.
One dog is terrified of thunder and loud noises.
I didn't put them on any sedatives, because I have heard that the critters might come out of it and be more scared than if they just had the whole experience to get used to.

I froze water the night before... so that way it didn't slosh out of the little bitty bowl.
Food? I chucked some into a little dish.
I made sure that there were blankets and their favorite toys and a T-shirt that I wore for a bit (so it smelled like me).

Both critters are fine.
They were a little dazed after the flight.
Thanks for the tips! Sounds about like what we were planning, if it came to that.

It'll be nice to be back East for a little bit. I went to UVA, so we'll be heading down to Char-vegas for at least one weekend.

Doubt I'll have much chance to ride, but I should have my hardtail with me...
I'm going to be in job training, and it'll be really hectic with lots to get done on the weekends. I *should* be coming again for more training, for another, different job, which would allow me more time to settle in and maybe get some riding done. We shall see. First I gotta get my fat bastard across the country...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
I've driven several (ranging from 3 to 7) hours with a couple cats.

Generally, I take them and drive short distances (to the store, to get gas, etc) for a week before in order to acclimate them to the car. I drive with them loose in the car, simply because the caterwauling when they're in the cage is unbearable, and all three of the cats I've travelled with have been fine wandering loose.

Since they travel loose, I put the litter box and a food bowl out for them in the trunk, and they can go to the bathroom/eat as necessary. Bear in mind, this has always been in a station wagon or SUV, if you've got a sedan, that won't work nearly as well. If there are two people in the car, the other one can give water as necessary, otherwise I stop every hour or two for that.

Two of the cats were easy to travel with. The third one wasn't as much fun, he tended to cry a lot. The only big problem I ever had with cats was that one liked to crawl down by the driver's feet and get underneath the gas/brake pedals. I just had to swat him every time he got near my lap.

I would definitly take a harness for each cat, though, in case of motion sickness or intestinal problems, you don't want 'em doing that in your car. Getting them used to the car with short trips, though, is key in ensuring that they won't flip their lids when you take them on a long ride.
Sweet, man, I have a feeling we'll be doing something similar in the end. Appreciate the first-hand advice.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
Sweet, man, I have a feeling we'll be doing something similar in the end. Appreciate the first-hand advice.
:thumb:

Oh, and though I don't keep them in it, I always have a crate for the cat. It gives them some place to go hide and feel safe if they get scared, not to mention a place to put them if you need to keep the doors/trunk open, or carry them somewhere.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
:thumb:

Oh, and though I don't keep them in it, I always have a crate for the cat. It gives them some place to go hide and feel safe if they get scared, not to mention a place to put them if you need to keep the doors/trunk open, or carry them somewhere.
Yeah. I AM fearing for the interior of my car, though. Cat-clawed holes in the seatcloth and door moldings and scratches in the window tinting...not to mention the possibility of a nice cat-pee stench or cat crap ground into it. (It's a year-old Subie impreza wagon.) I'll get a heavy seatcover of some sort, obviously, and already have molded rubber floor coverings. Still...your idea of testing it out first/acclimating them is a good idea.

The small one likes to scratch at reflective surfaces, though. Stands up at the full length mirror, staring into it and pawing left-right-left really fast at the 'other' cat. She'll do it for 20 minutes at a stretch if you let her.

MD

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BMXman said:
Mike I can help out alot...we can catch up on messenger or give me a call...D
Cool. I'm on MSN now, or call me when you've got a chance...I'm always available on my cell.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, and I DO have a roof basket...and cargo straps...and a bungee net...

MD

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Flew my cat out from RI to CA - soft case that fit under the seat... but he was still small. We got a harness and a leash, during the layover we walked him around the airport... people pointed and laughed, but he was cool with the traveling.

We recently drove with the cat to El Paso - bought pads for him to sleep on and fed him some benadryl (sp?). It acts like a sedative without giving him any nasty side affects. He probably would have slept the entire time if we didn't keep waking him up to give him water and walk him (harness thing again - one trucker almost crashed watching us walk him) when we stopped for gas.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
<snip> I'll get a heavy seatcover of some sort, obviously, and already have molded rubber floor coverings. <snip>

The small one likes to scratch at reflective surfaces, though. Stands up at the full length mirror, staring into it and pawing left-right-left really fast at the 'other' cat. She'll do it for 20 minutes at a stretch if you let her.
Old ratty towels work well to cover the seats. Especially if you put them over the seat cover. It will also encourage the cats to lie down if they have a towel they can curl up on, and it will smell like home. You can leave the towels out for a few days for the cats to lie on to make them really smell comforting.

If your cat likes reflective surfaces, she'll probably be quite amused at the outside world whizzing by. My ex-girlfriend's cat loved the car for just that reason, she'd just stare out the window the whole trip.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
Old ratty towels work well to cover the seats. Especially if you put them over the seat cover. It will also encourage the cats to lie down if they have a towel they can curl up on, and it will smell like home. You can leave the towels out for a few days for the cats to lie on to make them really smell comforting.

If your cat likes reflective surfaces, she'll probably be quite amused at the outside world whizzing by. My ex-girlfriend's cat loved the car for just that reason, she'd just stare out the window the whole trip.
Yeah, we do the towel trick when we're disrupting them...taking them to the vet or whatever. Grendel loves to um, spread little bits of him wherever he goes. Actually, we should take his 'seat' with us. He used to sit on my cloth office chair, and when we got the second cat, it became his only refuge. So when we were going to replace the chair, we realized it'd be hard on him...and I thus took off the back and arms, and now he has a little mobile pedestal he can sleep on. He likes to jump on it and surf across the room (hardwood floors...). Maybe we can just take off the top and give him the pad for the car. It's absolutely covered with his fur.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow...solved the problem. Only $300 to ship both cross-country as air freight. I'll go on my trip to the East Coast alone, and when my family reunion is over, I'll visit her parents in Rhode Island. She'll arrange the shipping to arrive in RI while I'm there, and I'll help them get settled in before splitting back to Cali.

As they say in Rhode Island...freakin' sweet!

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I recently completed an 800 mile move(driving) with three cats, instead of using individual cat carriers, we bought a pet crate at WallyWorld, and loaded all three together so as the would have less trauma being together, we placed some food in there and offered water at breaks but cats really aren't interested in food during the move, and did not need to use the litter either. whenever we would stop for gas or breaks we would check on them, we loaded at the rear hatch of our minivan so when we stopped we could open it and give them fresh air, it worked well.

also about 15 years ago I moved coast to coast with a single cat in a carrier, I went to my vet and he gave me Kitty Tranquerlizers that kept kitty sedated for the whole ordeal..... good luck

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MikeD said:
and now he has a little mobile pedestal he can sleep on. He likes to jump on it and surf across the room (hardwood floors...). Maybe we can just take off the top and give him the pad for the car. It's absolutely covered with his fur.
That is funny.

On shipping your cats, they will both need health certificates and a letter of acclimation which states what temperature range it is safe for the cats to travel in. The letter of acclimation is given to you by the vet when you get the health certificate and the health certificate is only good for 10 days from the date issued. Some airlines are picky about how the letter of acclimation is worded. Some would take the form letter that the vet would give which just stated the health dept. regulation, some wanted the actual temperature range it was safe for the cat to fly in. Some airlines would ask for it, others didn't give a sh!t.

All I have dealt with is shipping dogs, so I don't know if they will hassle you on the size of the crates they are in.