Quantcast

Advice On Giving My Kid A Guitar.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, so I play, and have a few really fancy guitars. My 15 year old has expressed interest, but as a slightly clumsy teen, it doesn’t make sense that he play mine.
Background: He is a little spoiled, as we have never hesitated to support whatever interests he has. This has led over the years to dozen sometimes expensive ‘experiments’ with different things that he wanted to try, but never hunkered down and did the actual work to even be a novice.
Skateboards, drums, 3D printing machines, art and fancy art supplies, etc. We have bought all of these things for him, which he quickly abandoned, which then we have had to sell at a discount, or sometimes they were too deconstructed to sell. My theory is that he was never really ‘invested’, either emotionally or with his own money, in these things, and has just taken it for granted.
He does have some discipline in other areas, he played Hockey Goalie for 10 years, and was really good. He speaks excellent Spanish, and is an amazing skier boarder.
Fast forward: I bought him an appropriate beginner guitar over the weekend. I brought this up with my wife that this might be good opportunity to do some better parenting, and make him work in some way to receive this guitar. I haven’t told him about it yet.
I am looking for some ideas of how to gauge his level of commitment to this, and come up with a mature solution to getting him motivated to pursue it somewhat seriously.
We are happy to support lessons, etc, but I don’t think it is productive to just give him all of this without him giving back.
We really need help with this!
Any productive advice from any of you teen/post teen parents?
Hookers and Blow?
Thanks in advance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
make him work for it dammit

you'll find out real quick

I had to mow lawns for two years before getting my first bmx bike

ladies and gentlemen, this is the man who paid a neighbor's kid to remove his rim tape residue while buying his own kid a drum kit :rofl:

you already bought him a guitar so what's to gauge? Get him tablature book of whatever butt rock he likes and see what happens.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

ladies and gentlemen, this is the man who paid a neighbor's kid to remove his rim tape residue while buying his own kid a drum kit :rofl:

you already bought him a guitar so what's to gauge? Get him tablature book of whatever butt rock he likes and see what happens.
Bootstraps!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

at 12 my dad said I was too old for an allowance. I was going to have to earn my toys and spending money. I got put to work mopping the floor of the family restaurant, washing the windows, prep work for minimum wage ($1.25/hr back then). By 15 I had bought a bike, backpacking gear, and SCUBA Gear.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So, my kid goes to camp for most of the summer as a CIT. he does school, tutoring, robotics, snowboarding, language, and volunteers at the literacy center. He honestly doesn’t have time for a traditional job. This may sound crazy, but it’s true. He does spend WAAAAY to much time playing video games, but those are hours that a 15 year old can’t really work with school.
More my wife’s decision than mine.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys are raising a wonderful eric trump.

read these two sentences together

He honestly doesn’t have time for a traditional job.

He does spend WAAAAY to much time playing video games, but those are hours that a 15 year old can’t really work with
You can tell you never went to work in retail after school.

Unless by 'traditional job' you mean selling insurance.

JFC, I worked in a subway making mayonaise sammiches until midnight.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Looks at thread, excited to pick up some tips which may transfer to other problems.
Sees it's evolved into an entitlement debate, resumes lurking.
++++
If he has expressed interest in playing, then you could broach the subject as if:

"I know you said you were interested in learning how to play guitar, but they're expensive and we're not sure if you'll stick with it. So what do you think you could do to get some skin in the game?"

#Clean Up Poop
#Mow the lawn
#Chores
... profit

In regards to the working/not working hissy fit, let's face it, if they're your child they're going to be messed up no matter what ;)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
let him play your guitar. tell him to be careful, the odds he breaks something are low.
having access to a guitar when I was a kid was pivotal to my happiness.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Looks at thread, excited to pick up some tips which may transfer to other problems.
++++
If he has expressed interest in playing, then you could broach the subject as if:

"I know you said you were interested in learning how to play guitar, but they're expensive and we're not sure if you'll stick with it. So what do you think you could do to get some skin in the game?"

#Clean Up Poop
#Mow the lawn
#Chores
... profit

In regards to the working/not working hissy fit, let's face it, if they're your child they're going to be messed up no matter what ;)

HE ALREADY BOUGHT HIM ONE :rofl:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I got this.

Put on some thrash metal. Some could say Slayer, I personally think Thy Art is Murder would be more fitting. When he walks in (in your best metal lyric voice) tell him he’s learning the FUCKING GUITAR. Proceed to smash the guitar ohis head and then tell him he will have to pay for the next one.

Really a flawless plan I might say.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have no problem teaching a work ethic to an unformed brain. Especially one that grows up in the kingdom of jackson.

Treating grown ass adults in poverty like that isn't really comparable.

It is usually the person who had to work for that one thing that one time who thinks that everything they have in life was because they worked harder than everyone else.

Knew a dude in college who always talked about how his father made him work to pay for his truck and by extension everything he had was due to his bootstraps.

Turns out he worked at his father's law form making more than all of the other non lawyer employees.

His brother got into the Air Force academy despite having a criminal record for stabbing someone. Daddy got a judge to wipe his record and a letter of recommendation from a Senator.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It is usually the person who had to work for that one thing that one time who thinks that everything they have in life was because they worked harder than everyone else.
Yeah you started a thread on privileged idiots thinking they earnt everything in life in PAWN

I'm just trusting rideit when he says his son is spoiled, especially when he already bought the guitar he's apparently debating supplying :rofl:

His brother got into the Air Force academy despite having a criminal record for stabbing someone. Daddy got a judge to wipe his record and a letter of recommendation from a Senator.
last name Mccain by any chance?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Give him a ukulele and tell him once he's mastered it, he can upgrade to a full size.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I'm just trusting rideit when he says his son is spoiled, especially when he already bought the guitar he's apparently debating supplying :rofl:
There was never any 'debate', just looking for mature parenting suggestions to present it in a way that he is invested.
Anyone wanna buy a skateboard, longboard, 3D printer, digital sketchpad, etc?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
++++

#Clean Up Poop
#Mow the lawn
#Chores
... profit

This...
We have similar discussions with the 11& 17yo. They don't get an allowance, but we pay the insurance on the oldest's car and cell phone bill and she has chores to do around the house. Youngest was going to have her phone turned on (it's really just an ipod touch now) but she broke the screen so she is working off a new phone right now.