Quantcast

Advice On Giving My Kid A Guitar.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Why not just go N+1? Get yourself a cheaper guitar you kinda want but won't care that much about, and let him have at it as much as he wants.

My only kids have 4 legs so feel free to ignore, but if you have the means, I don't see anything wrong with helping a kid figure out what they're passionate about by letting them dabble in lots of different stuff without pressure to pursue it seriously. Isn't that a dream for parents who can't afford it? Seems you're pretty fortunate to have this conundrum.

He's 15 and he may be interested in developing a passion he can share with you. Lots of kids would go the opposite direction and do anything except what dad does. Why does it have to be a transaction? Let him experiment. Does it really matter if he drops it or ends up just a casual player? Are you a professional musician or what?

I've worked for pretty much everything I've ever had (except being a white male), but I've never felt everyone needs to go through hardship to be a decent person. You sound like a pretty thoughtful parent and I expect you're not raising a total asshole regardless.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Does your kid know how to play? Maybe get him some lessons and then you can help out with practice, on one of yours? That way its supervised?

Then if he finishes the lessons, it should be an indication on whether he wants to keep going at it and have his own guitar at some point.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My ex had bought our daughter an acoustic guitar that she never touched when she was like 10. At 12 she showed interest in bass guitar, so we went down to Guitar Center,she tried a few different ones, found one she liked, traded the other in and walked out. She played the hell out of it and even got into orchestral bass for a year. I told her as long as she played it, I was happy to pay for it. She did a few lessons initially but played in the school jazz band.

I supported all her crazy whims, most were considered a success..

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, SkaredShtles, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

You're back on the list for that comment.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My parents made me work for everything, it was always a transaction. Well mostly. I used to ride my bike up to the drinking spot and collect the cans. My uncle showed me many ways to hustle. I also worked every non school day that wasn’t a weekend starting at 12. Digging and pulling parts. It was good but it’s not good for everyone and times have changed. I say don’t give it to him. But let him play it. It’s your new guitar, that’s awesome but you’ll show him how to play it, let him jam with you or whatever. Encourage lessons and begrudgingly let him borrow it. Then if he really shows interest, gift it too him then, but make a big deal about it.

full disclosure, I don’t have boys or teenagers and I spoil my kids. My theory is we only live once, and there is no proof that life is serious anyways. So you could just give it to him too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My parents made me work for everything, it was always a transaction. Well mostly. I used to ride my bike up to the drinking spot and collect the cans. My uncle showed me many ways to hustle. I also worked every non school day that wasn’t a weekend starting at 12. Digging and pulling parts. It was good but it’s not good for everyone and times have changed. I say don’t give it to him. But let him play it. It’s your new guitar, that’s awesome but you’ll show him how to play it, let him jam with you or whatever. Encourage lessons and begrudgingly let him borrow it. Then if he really shows interest, gift it too him then, but make a big deal about it.

full disclosure, I don’t have boys or teenagers and I spoil my kids. My theory is we only live once, and there is no proof that life is serious anyways. So you could just give it to him too.
Maybe give him just the neck and some pickups

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We worked it out. He is super jazzed, and will work with me doing yard work, cleaning the truck, cleaning the camper, etc.
For every honest hour he works with me (above and beyond regular chores), we will pay for an hour of lessons. He is going to ask the older camp counselors to teach him some basics while he is at camp. They have no technology whatsoever, so he will have time.
we had a very mature chat about it, and he said he didn’t really want to be playing my expensive guitars anyway.
All good in the hood!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So many words in this thread, here are some more.
I wanted a guitar, my family was powdered milk poor, so my parents said if I got okay on their trusty Technics electric organ they'd get me a guitar.
So glad I didn't get a guitar, it would have been a massive waste of their money and I wouldn't have played it for more than a day or two, just like everything I did.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So many words in this thread, here are some more.
I wanted a guitar, my family was powdered milk poor, so my parents said if I got okay on their trusty Technics electric organ they'd get me a guitar.
So glad I didn't get a guitar, it would have been a massive waste of their money and I wouldn't have played it for more than a day or two, just like everything I did.
rideit buys rocky mountain bikes so he's used to wasting money

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
rideit buys rocky mountain bikes so he's used to wasting money
Haha, you really hate Rocky Mountain bikes.
My current bike was a way bigger waste of money that anything RM makes.
EDIT- Value and performance wise, not total cost wise.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Woo hates every green eyed girl, because one of them said something mean to him once.
Good god, woo, get over it.
You used to ride Specialized, ffs.
Anyone who thinks their new bikes are shit probably doesn’t even ride bikes.

oh.

sorry. :banana:

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Woo hates every green eyed girl, because one of them said something mean to him once.
Good god, woo, get over it.
You used to ride Specialized, ffs.
LOL, my partner has green eyes so it's a frequent occurrence.

Like you with RM I got deals on specialized. Last one I bought was 2011 and never since because I'm a good person. When's the last time you bought a rocky mountain?

You don't even remember why I said I dislike that company do you? Hint: They act like specialized.

Plus, you know.....I've ridden some of the things. I guess at your age and speeds, you don't notice the faults, fair enough...

Last edited: