Quantcast

advice on healing bones

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
Just figured id ask. Recently broke my heel. Any advice on things to do to accelerate the healing process, or things to avoid so as not to extend it.

brian

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Yeah. Milk.

I drink at LEAST a gallon a day (mostly for the protein and calories, but the calcium is definatly a plus). Drinking a crapload of milk REALLY made a difference in the last couple months where my stress fracture in my ankle showed itself again.

Try not to drink lots of caffeine. Caffeine has been shown to reduce bone density when used during wrowth or healing.

Don't hit it with a hammer.

I always am on my feet after an injury. This always makes the healing take one hell of a time. I got hit by a car a little over 2 weeks ago and suffered some damage to my MCL. This would've been a 1-2 week recovery for the minor tear I had. Since I need to work so I can pay my rent, I never gave it time to rest. Working construction isn't a good way to heal your ****ed up knee. Don't be me, get plenty of rest. Sleep a lot (this is when your body does the most healing). Don't be stupid.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
while this wont help it heal, it will help prevent from happening again, start lifting weights, weight training, especially heavy lifting has been proven to increase bone density, as well as the strength of tendons and ligaments, so it is a big help in previnting future injuries
charlie

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Yup. That was actually one of the reasons I started working out. I was sick of getting all sorts of sprains and strains. Wanted to strengthen my tendons just as much as I wanted my muscles to be stronger.

All the UFC (Ultimate Fighting) fighters lift more for the strengthening of the bones and tendons than the muscles. When you've got the correct techniques, muscle really doesn't matter that much in a fight.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
i know how you feel. I broke my ankle and had to have pins/screws/plates to hold it back together. All I gotta say is nothing beats having a busted foot/leg. Makes you appricate walking a hell of a lot more.

I agree, milk does wonders. I had to, was forced to drink milk with dinner every night until I was 18. Truthfull I never liked it, but now thinking about it milk and OJ in the morning are good things. They just give you good stuff right away.

Working out probably can't be stressed enough. The only way you will prevent it from happening again is to train your foot to not want to roll, or depending on how you hurt it the tendon's memory. Once it is better try to make it better. I dunno how you broke a heel, that one might be a tuffy.

If your insurance covers thearpy go to it and have them teach you the different exercises, and then do them after it's all done for a while (or indefinate). They are usually dumb (toes on a step and go up and down) type exercises but every little bit helps.

Also once it's better don't go nuts trying to do the same stuff you were before. I must have sprained my foot 3 more times in a row because I jumped the gun and wanted to go play basketball/skateboard whatever. Give it it's time.

Atleast you (and me!) are young, just think about if you were 40 and this happened

Chris

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Eat the type of TUMS that have extra calcium. The doc told me to do that (along w/ drink a lot of milk) after I broke my wrist a few years back.