Quantcast

Advice on how to write a resignation letter?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I suggest Haiku.

Had a real great time
Thanks for all lessons learned, but
This job sucks goat balls.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
It is never a good idea to write anything other than "pursuing other opportunities" "it pains me to leave but I feel this move will greatly accelerate my career goals" crap like that.

I've read 100s of exit interviews - those that rant about coworkers or working conditions usually just highlight their own professional weaknesses.

Your letter of resignation needs to be 3 sentences:

1) Your name, date of hire & current position.
2) State your intention along with a brief "reason".
3) Finish with the date of your pending action.

That is all. :)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've read 100s of exit interviews - those that rant about coworkers or working conditions usually just highlight their own professional weaknesses.

No doubt. It always cracks me up when bosses want to know why you are leaving and what they can do to make you stay.
If I'm quiting, chances are, I've completely given up on your organization. Why would I want to help you in any way.

You resignation letter should be nothing more than a polite way of giving them your notice in writing. Specifically, what day will be your last.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have always been straight up and wished the company well. Don't burn bridges and just be honest about it.

I left in August and was back in January.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
You could always just disappear and leave only a post-it note saying you won't be back. Some dude did that just last week at my work, and it worked pretty well. At the very least it's entertaining for your former colleagues.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You could always just disappear and leave only a post-it note saying you won't be back. Some dude did that just last week at my work, and it worked pretty well. At the very least it's entertaining for your former colleagues.
I would just leave a sign that said "Croatan" and take off.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
At least you'll get a free lunch out of it from your coworkers, despite the fact you're telling them you no longer want to work with them.

If you were fired, they would not give you a nicely written letter and there would be no free lunch.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My last resignation letter. I worked there three months, had no use for the reference, and wanted to kill every living human by the time I was done. Names edited for WP programs.

Dear Sh!tstache:
Please accept my resignation as crapper, effective immediately.
I feel very fortunate to have been associated with Crappy Crap for the last few months. My experiences have been invaluable, and I leave with pleasant memories.
Sincerely,
Penisbreath Clubfoot

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
My last resignation letter. I worked there three months, had no use for the reference, and wanted to kill every living human by the time I was done. Names edited for WP programs.
Dear Sh!tstache:
Please accept my resignation as crapper, effective immediately.
I feel very fortunate to have been associated with Crappy Crap for the last few months. My experiences have been invaluable, and I leave with pleasant memories.
Sincerely,
Penisbreath Clubfoot
Haha, I think someone just earned a custom title.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I loved my job, but I wasn't in-love with it. It's not you, it's me. It's better for you if I leave. You'll understand one day.

What were we talking about?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Dear ______,
Please consider this to be notice of my termination of employment with ______________, effective no later than March 10, 2008.
I have enjoyed my association with ________ as well as the opportunities I have been presented with during my employment. It has been quite the pleasure to work with so many interesting, dedicated professionals.

Regards,

Greg Meyer.

There's the letter I turned in a few days ago. No need to make it longer, where/why you're going is really none of their concern.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Walk up to your boss slowly looking him/her directly in the eye. Hand him/her a note that says:

"LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!"

As soon as he/she reads it, turn and run like hell. Never come back.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Finger paint it on the door........with a mixture of blood and semen.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The letter is just a formality. You should have a conversation with your boss about it first, this is where you don't burn bridges. Be polite and professional, the same goes for the letter.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It is never a good idea to write anything other than "pursuing other opportunities" "it pains me to leave but I feel this move will greatly accelerate my career goals" crap like that.

Your letter of resignation needs to be 3 sentences:

1) Your name, date of hire & current position.
2) State your intention along with a brief "reason".
3) Finish with the date of your pending action.

That is all. :)
:stupid:

So which job are you leaving? And where are you going?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Walk in.
Drop pants.
Exclaim loudly "I'm out bitches"

Stroll confidently out the door with your pants around your ankles.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The letter is just a formality. You should have a conversation with your boss about it first, this is where you don't burn bridges. Be polite and professional, the same goes for the letter.

2nd that...I have found it's the best way to do it...D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I got pissed off at a dip**** boss once

I left that night and went to kinkos and grabbed a fax cover sheet this is what I sent to the fax machine

To Larry A

Effective 10/2/90 [Today] I quit
you will find my office keys in a box to the right of my monitor
my final time card is in your in box
send my check to [my home] I expect it to be recieved in 3 working days

Eric

I then showed up late to an employee after hours beer and bitch fest to tell them that their manager had just quit. They demanded that I load all of them into Daves VW van and being the only sober person drive them to Kinkos so that they could do the same. All 14 of us quit that night

Classic

dave was the only one that didn't fax in his resignation as he had requested to be the last man standing so that he could watch the bosses face as he read the faxes, dave said he looked like he was going to have a stroke. Larry said well Dave it's just you and me but we can do this. Dave looked him in the face and said I don't think so Asshole "I quit" and handed him a fax sheet cracked a beer and walked out.......mother beautiful